Part Thirty Six

Part Thirty-Six

Amy lives out the very outskirts of Horseshoe Bay, not far from the Banks estate actually. Feels a little ironic when you think about, of course the merfolk live around each other on land too. Then again, they aren't the only ones in town.

Nana is with me, Amy's request. It was the only thing she asked, to bring her because she also needed to talk with her. She wouldn't share what that was about specifically, but she promised I would have some answers soon enough.

Anya is also with us, inviting herself along for the trip.

I climb out of nana's car staring up at the old farmhouse that's beautifully restored. The bright orange front door sticks out like a sore thumb from the cream colour of the exterior.

The door opens before we even reach the stairs leading onto the front veranda. A woman steps out with jet black hair. She's an older looking woman wearing a thin cloth dress. I can tell she's not wearing anything underneath, her attire pretty similar to Anya's.

Anya is wearing a thicker dress but pretty much the same thing. I remind myself both of these women are mermaids; clothing is just a barrier to their true selves.

A quick glance at my own outfit, I remind myself that is me now too.

"Hello, welcome. I'm Amy."

Anya bounds up the steps before I do, I linger back waiting for nana to join me. "Amy."

"Ah Anya. How are you?"

Anya wraps her arms around Amy. "Missed you, how's the family?"

"Good, good. How have you been? Staying out of trouble, I hope?" Amy pats her cheek, reminding me of my mum.

"I always stay out of trouble." Anya grins like she indeed does not stay out of trouble.

Amy laughs, shaking her head before turning to me. "Isla. Martha." She turns to nana, her smile falling a little.

"It's a pleasure to meet you, we've been looking forward to speaking with you." Nana moves first, making her way up the stairs offering her hand to Amy.

Amy watches it, a flicker of sadness crossing her features before it's gone completely. She smiles warmly, shaking nana's hand. "Come inside, we have lots to discuss."

Her words are the main reason I bound up the stairs, following everyone inside Amy's house eagerly. She gives us a small tour, leading us to an office at the back of her home. Inside the room the walls are lined with bookshelves that are overflowing.

A lot of the books look like the kind you'd find just about any library or bookstore but there is one that looks the most intriguing. I'm immediately drawn towards it, breaking off the group to check the books out.

I pull one out, the cover feels a little different then what I'm used to. I flip the book open, but I don't understand what's written on the pages. I feel like I've seen it before though.

"A Brief Merfolk History." Amy appears beside me, looking inside the book I've got.

I close the book, running a finger over the cover. "Our language?" I ask.

She nods. "A dying language, English has stretched far and wide including the deep depths of the ocean. Years of being on land, the language has little use here without other merfolk around."

I put the book back on the shelf and look over the rest. "Well, lets get to it then."

Amy faces me. "Would you like to ask questions and I answer, or would you like me to tell you what I know?"