Chapter Two

As the first rays of the morning sun gently filter into Sebastian's room, they pierce through the thin veil of slumber, coaxing him awake. A soft grumble escapes his lips as he instinctively rolls over, seeking refuge from the intrusive brightness, burrowing himself deeper into the comforting embrace of his blanket. Reluctant to relinquish the fleeting moments of uninterrupted peace, he clings to the edges of drowsiness.

Suddenly, the serenity is shattered by a jarring, ear-splitting screech that tears through the air. Sebastian's eyes snap open, instantly alert and wide. The relentless noise originates from his phone, defiantly perched on the other side of the room, taunting him with its unyielding alarm. With a begrudging sigh, he calls upon his digital assistant, his voice still tinged with the weariness of the early morning.

"Bella," he croaks, his tone carrying the weight of sleep's lingering grasp. Hoping for a swift response, he pleads, "Turn off the alarm." Obeying his command, the shrill bells abruptly fall silent, granting a momentary respite to his ears. Seb can't help but emit a low, drawn-out groan of both annoyance and resignation as he gradually unravels his body, stretching each weary limb into wakefulness.

Reluctantly, Sebastian swings his feet over the edge of the bed, instantly feeling the warmth radiating from the worn, original wood beneath his bare feet. The cosy sensation lingers momentarily, tempting him to remain nestled in the comfort of his bedroom. However, with a resigned sigh, he pushes himself to rise and shuffles towards the bathroom.

As he enters, Sebastian's meticulous nature becomes evident. He takes pride in keeping his surroundings tidy and organised, each item in its designated place. But today, a couple of minor disruptions caught his eye. His annoyance surfaces as he notices the toothpaste lid left ajar and his deodorant carelessly knocked on its side. Rolling his eyes in exasperation, he quickly rectifies the disarray, ensuring everything is back in its proper position.

Turning his attention to the mirror, Sebastian gazes at his reflection. His unruly, brown, floppy hair defies gravity in various directions, giving him a casually dishevelled charm. He furrows his thick brows, causing the space between them to narrow, as he examines his features, stretching the skin of his jawline and pulling amusing faces at himself in a lighthearted attempt to break the monotony of the morning routine.

He kicks off his morning routine with a splash of icy water on his face, instantly waking him up and shaking off any lingering grogginess. He grabs his go-to face wash, squirting a blob into his hand and working up a foamy lather. Gently massaging it onto his skin with small, circular motions, he banishes any traces of sleep.

As he wraps up his bathroom routine, a sudden knock at the door interrupts Sebastian's thoughts. Perplexed, he quickly slips into a pair of comfortable shorts and throws on a casual t-shirt. With a towel slung over his shoulder, he navigates through the hallway, the anticipation building with each step.

"Just a second!" he calls out, his voice filled with a mixture of confusion and cautiousness. As he approaches the front door, the muffled sound of two deep, authoritative voices reaches his ears. He grasps the doorknob and peeks around the corner, his eyes widening as he takes in the sight of two police officers standing on his doorstep.

"Sebastian Riggs?" The taller, broader officer's voice resonates through the hallway, causing Sebastian's heart to skip a beat. His eyes widen as he takes in their serious expressions, his mind racing to find an explanation for their presence at his door.

"Uh, yes, sir. I'm Sebastian Riggs. Can I help you?" He replied, caution in his tone.

The officers exchange a glance, their eyes filled with sympathy and sorrow. The shorter officer, sporting a bushy moustache that twitches with each word, steps forward and asks, "Mr. Riggs, can we come in?" Sebastian nods, his heart pounding in his chest, and steps aside to let them into his apartment. As the officers enter the living room, Sebastian notices the crumbs in the shorter officer's beard, a small detail that momentarily distracts him. Sebastian's mind whirls with worry and confusion. He watches as the shorter officer settles himself on the sofa while the taller one maintains his unwavering gaze upon him.