Chapter Six

Author's note:

This chapter was very rushed, I apologise in advance. When this book has been finished all chapter's will be revised and edited, this one will probably need the most of that unfortunately. Haha. Anyway, if you're liking this book let me know! It keeps me motivated for sure. And if you're not enjoying it, even better! Tell me why! :) Constructive criticism is completely ok and I am not easily offended.

A week had passed since Skye entered Sebastian's life. While his nights were no longer plagued by loneliness, they had become a bit cramped since Skye insisted on sleeping beside him. However, there were nights when Skye's sleep was troubled, and she would wake Sebastian up with her tearful cries. The interesting part was that Skye herself seemed oblivious to her tears as they flowed in her sleep. In those moments, all Sebastian could do was gently stroke her forehead and patiently wait until the tears subsided.

Bill went on a shopping spree to get the cutest toys, books, and jigsaw puzzles for his new granddaughter. He also surprised her with a little artist's set and an easel that he set up in their garden. He of course, denied having any involvement and said June was the one who picked everything up, but Seb and Skye knew better.

Meanwhile, June's actual gifts Skye was a plethora of new clothes. She carefully selected new outfits for her and even bought a cute dungaree dress similar to the one Skye wore when she was first brought home. When Skye saw all of her new clothes, she wanted to do a fashion show for her newfound family, to which Bill grumbled but you could tell he secretly loved it and smiled the whole way through.

Initially, feeding Skye seemed like it would be a challenge. However, after a little hiccup during the first night, Sebastian learned how to transform Skye's favourite microwaved meals into delicious homemade dishes, and he discovered that the more he involved Skye in the cooking process, the more excited she became to try the food she had helped prepare.

Skye was playing with her grandad outside when Sebastian poked his head through the patio doors. Skye looked up at him, a smile beaming from her mucky, painted face.

"Sebby!" She squealed, running up to him waving a paint brush around in the air.

"Hello you, are you having fun?" He asked, kneeling to meet face, but also to stop her hand from accidentally getting paint on his freshly ironed pale blue shirt. Courtesy of June who was putting away the ironing board in the background, pleased with herself for ironing out the singular wrinkle hidden by his belt.

"Grandad Bill painted a flower but he told me not to tell you because flowers are smelly." She grinned, breaking the promise of secrecy.

"That does sound like Grandad doesn't it," He confirmed, "Skye, would you go wash up and put your fresh clothes on? We're going out to visit Nona today." Sebastian explained. Skye's face dropped, her playful mood vanishing.

"I don't want to see Nona, I want to stay with Nanny and Grandad" Skye whined, her high pitched voice tinged with disappointment. Her plea escalated into a crescendo of crocodile tears, a melodramatic performance that made both Bill and Sebastian shake their heads.

"Now, now, Mrs. Drama Queen," Sebastian chuckled, his eyes sparkling with gentle amusement. "After spending the whole week together, I can tell when you're genuinely about to cry." He leaned in closer, trying to win her over. "Trust me, t'll be fun. There will be other kids to play with, too!" he said trying to persuade her, secretly uncertain if he would be staying for the group session after his meeting with Nona.

Skye's bottom lip pouted, shifting toward her beloved Grandad Bill. "But what if they don't like me?" she murmured, "I just want to stay with Grandad."

"Nona simply wants to see if Sebastian's doing a good job. And you know what? Grandad promises to paint you an entire bouquet of flowers if you come along," he added, winking mischievously.

"Yay! I want you to paint pink and purple flowers please." She teased, knowing by now her Grandad had an aversion to using pinks. With that she skipped away chanting "Grandad's painting flowers". Bill and Sebastian caught eachothers eye.