Hitting Play

My father pulls up in the car. "Goodbye, Jeff."

"Bye." I open the car door and leave, grabbing my luggage.

That's it. No hugs. No tears. Nothing affectionate. Just an obligatory "goodbye". I clench my jaw and start walking faster. I reach the building quickly, shoving the door open and walking up the stairs to my room. Tony is waiting there, smiling. I toss my bags onto my bed, then smile back.

"Jeff!" He puts his hands around my waist and we fall onto the bed and I'm kissing him (or he's kissing me).

I haven't felt so happy in months. It's like I was paused, and now Tony hit play. And by the way he's kissing me, he got unpaused too.

***

We're lying on his bed, holding hands (with the door locked, naturally). Tony's looking at me, and he has been for a few minutes.

"OK, why're you staring?" I say finally.

"What?" he asks, surprised.

"Don't think I didn't notice," I say, turning on my side to face him. "You've been staring for almost ten minutes."

"It's just..." He looks away. "You have a bunch of new scars."

New scars. He noticed the old ones? I mean, I'm not that surprised (I don't think it's possible to touch someone as much as he's touched me and not notice that they have tons of scars), but he's never mentioned them.

"Yeah, I..."

How do I tell him that some of these are from my mother, screaming and hitting me? That some are from my father, calling me a retard? That some of them are from me, cutting myself over and over and over to stay sane?

"Are you okay?"

I look over at him. I wipe at the corners of my eyes.

"No."

He frowns, then smiles grimly.

"I'm not either."

~~~~~

Uhhh so I started a new fic!!! I should post it... soon... (maybe. I might wait until finishing it before I post it)

I finally overcame the writer's block I was having for this story! Yay! (And yes I know it's only been four days BUT FOUR DAYS CAN FEEL LIKE A LOT OK)

Anyways bye

~ Ira 🖤