Goodbye

The rest of the year passes in a blur of kisses and academics.

Tony and Jeff, sitting on the roof together.

Tony and Jeff, studying together.

Tony and Jeff, sleeping peacefully in Tony's bed on days when they were too tired to make it more than twenty feet from the door.

Tony and Jeff, skipping class to be with each other.

Tony and Jeff, saying goodbye before they left for summer break as they sat on the roof.

Tony will be staying at school with a handful of other people, and Jeff will be staying with his father.

"You better call me," Tony said. "Or at least write a letter."

"I'll call you every week," Jeff says.

"What if your father needs to use the phone and overhears you?"

"You really think we haven't figured out how to make each phone in our house have a separate call line?" Tony asked teasingly, raising an eyebrow. "I'm offended, Tony."

Tony laughs and takes Jeff's hand. "I'll miss you."

"I'll miss you, too."

As the sun begins to set, they kiss and hold onto each other until Jeff's father comes to take him away.

"Goodbye," Jeff whispers to Tony as they walk down to the lobby. "I..."

Tony kisses Jeff on the cheek so quickly, nobody would notice. "Goodbye."

Jeff smiles, but he certainly isn't happy.

~~~

Welp

~ Ira 🖤