Smile, You're On Camera

Jeff came later in the year, about a month late, but that didn't seem to stop him. He made up his work in a moment and was at the top of the class within a week. He spends all his time studying or reading or inventing.

Jeff is interesting in the way where not knowing anything makes you want to know more. You know, he spends a lot of time sitting up on the roof, alone. I went up there with him once. I asked him why he always came up.

"I don't want to answer the phone," he had said as he looked away. It almost looked like he was crying. I really wanted to hug him, to make him know everything was going to be okay... but I can't do that. Could I? Would I if I could?

I look down at my hands and sigh. What's happening to me? I ask myself. Why do I feel... not like how I'm supposed to feel? I glance over at Jeff, who's reading a book. I can see a bit of a page. There's someone monologuing about how much they hate their job of being a train conductor. I look away.

Then fucking Jeremy came into our room. Stupid fucking Jeremy, with his perfect hair and how he's always showing off and how he's always taking pictures and trying to take Jeff away...

"Tony! Jeff!" he waves. "Hey, Mr. B told me to get some pictures of y'all for the yearbook. That good?"

"No," Jeff says as he shuts his book and leaves. I follow him, and we end up on the roof.

"I fucking hate Jeremy," he mumbled under his breath. "Asshole is always showing off and taking pictures when I say no."

"Y-yeah..." I say. "Remember that time he came into our room at night and took pictures of us sleeping? And you broke his camera?"

"He deserved it."

"You almost got detention!"

"Key word: almost," he says. I laugh.

We never talk like this. Like people. Like... friends. My cheeks flush and I hide my face in my knees.

After a few minutes of calm silence, Jeff taps on my shoulder. "Hey. Let's go back. Jeremy's hopefully gone, and I don't want to get frostbite."

I look down. I don't want to go back inside. Well, I mean, I do, but I want to stay outside with him.

"Come on," he says, more forcefully. I look up, and he's offered me his hand. My eyes widen. "What, did your legs freeze already?"

I take his hand and stand up. "No."

I don't let go, and he doesn't either. We walk inside our dorm.

"SMILE! YOU'RE ON CAMERA!" Jeremy screams as he pops out from behind a door.

"FUCK YOU!" Jeff yells, letting go of my hand. He almost seems reluctant.