6

The sleek, dimly lit restaurant provided the backdrop for the meeting between Danae and Luca. As she entered, Danae's eyes scanned the room, searching for his presence amidst the subtle elegance of the establishment. She spotted him at a secluded corner table, his gaze locked onto her, a mixture of curiosity and wariness in his eyes.

Taking a deep breath, Danae walked toward the table, her steps purposeful and determined. She refused to let the intimidating aura surrounding Luca Moretti sway her. This meeting was her chance to reclaim some semblance of control over her life.

As she approached, Luca rose from his seat, his gaze assessing her every move. His dark, piercing eyes seemed to hold a wealth of secrets, as if he were constantly calculating the outcomes of his every action. Danae couldn't deny the magnetic pull he exerted, even in the midst of her defiance.

They locked eyes, a silent challenge passing between them. Danae took her seat opposite Luca, her posture erect and confident. She placed her list of demands on the table, a tangible reminder of her determination.

"So, Danae," Luca began, his voice laced with a mix of curiosity and caution. "I'm intrigued to hear what conditions you have in mind. Let's see if they're worth considering."

Danae's voice remained steady as she spoke, her eyes never leaving his. "First, I want complete financial independence. I refuse to be dependent on the Moretti family for my personal or professional endeavors."

Luca's lips curled into a wry smile. "Financial independence? You do realize the depth of the debt your family owes us, don't you? Severing all ties won't come without its consequences."

"I'm aware of the debt," Danae retorted, her voice resolute. "And I'm willing to work toward repaying it. But it will be on my terms, not as a prisoner in this arranged marriage."

Luca leaned back, his gaze shifting to the list in front of him. "What else?"

Danae continued, her voice unwavering. "Second, I demand access to all information regarding my parents' debt and the business dealings between our families. Transparency is crucial if we are to find a way out of this mess."

A flicker of surprise crossed Luca's features, quickly masked by a shrewd expression. "You want to know everything? Even the darkest secrets?"

"Especially the darkest secrets," Danae affirmed, her eyes narrowing. "Only by understanding the full extent of the entanglement can we hope to unravel it."

Luca nodded, a newfound respect gleaming in his eyes. "Go on."

"Lastly," Danae concluded, her voice tinged with determination, "I will not be bound by this marriage unless there is genuine mutual respect and trust between us. No coercion, no manipulation. We work together or not at all."

Silence filled the air as Luca absorbed her demands, the weight of her words sinking in. Slowly, he reached for the list, reading it once more, his expression unreadable.

"Danae, you're asking for quite a lot," Luca finally responded, his voice tinged with a hint of admiration. "But perhaps negotiation is possible. I won't promise immediate answers, but I'm willing to consider your conditions."

A mixture of relief and cautious optimism filled Danae's heart. This was more than she had expected—a crack in the fortress of Luca Moretti's power. She knew the battle was far from over, but she had planted the seeds of her defiance.

As they continued their discussion, both Danae and Luca realized that their arrangement was evolving into something more complex. A reluctant understanding