Chapter-3

“Took your sweet time didn’t you?” a middle aged, plump woman in a starched uniform called out to Weiying. She closed the distance between them and dragged him by his arm.

“And you took the fancy lift?” she continued in disbelief, “I’m gonna close my eyes this time since it’s your first day.”

She stopped outside a closed off lavatory. “But you better be on your best behavior tomorrow!”

Weiying nodded, nervously. It was a miracle he even got the job. It meant everything to him to keep it.

“I’m sorry ma’am! It was the weather-“

She tutted loud over him, “Don’t matter. You're in charge of cleaning the floors today! You're doing top to bottom. Here.”

She pushed a cart full of cleaning material in Weiying’s direction, “At 1pm, you come to the 2nd floor for lunch. Got it?”

“Yes ma’am!” Weiying straightened his back, he felt his resolve strengthening. It was his first proper full-time job.

His mother had told him not to follow in her footsteps. When he last spoke to her, she’d looked at him through blown pupils, dug her bony fingers into his arm and spoke through falling teeth, “Weiying, don’t be like me you hear?”

He left their decrepit flat the morning after. Walking for hours. Not feeling sad nor lost. He went days without food, sleeping in parks, washing himself in the river. One night as he slipped into sleep, he felt an odd calm sweep over him. This is it, he thought, the finality bringing him comfort. But he woke up to glaring lights in a hospital bed. A simple meal was laid out in front of him. He ate greedily. A stern man in a police uniform walked into his ward,

“You’d have died,” he'd said grimly, “if that fat banker hadn’t tripped over ya leg and called us.”

He sat down at the corner of the bed. He pulled a folded page out of his pocket and placed it beside Weiying’s food. It was peppered with neon circles and lines.

“You should call these, get ya self a job. Yet 20, you’ll do just fine,” he looked curiously at Weiying, “if not, call this number. It’s mine... I ain’t ya dad but... God didn’t let ya die, so neither will I.”

Weiying nodded. For the first time in years, he let his tears fall.

---

Weiying sighed heavily and leaned against his mop. That was the last toilet floor he had to clean for the day. It was hard but honest work. He wiped the sweat off his brows. As he packed away the cleaning supplies, he heard his stomach loud and clear. It was nearly time for dinner.

“Oh!” a voice came from behind him, surprised.

“Sorry, you can use it now!” Weiying started to pull his cart out of the toilet.

“Apologies, really,” the smooth deep voice continued, then he heard a loud rumble. Weiying stood still, shocked. After a moment’s silence, the voice broke into melodious laughter,

“Well it seems you’re not the only hungry one around here!”

Weiying smiled and turned around, the man had on round glasses. Through which, Weiying picked out slate gray eyes that reflected warm light. Set below thick and shapely brows. His smile narrowed his eyes but did not dull the shine in them. And such a warm smile too. Weiying found himself smiling back with ease. Though clearly wealthy, the man wasn’t intimidating. Nothing like the man he’d met in the elevator. He recalled the handsome smirk of the man in blue and felt a creeping heat on his cheeks.

“Excuse me, perhaps I can buy your dinner? Just a little thank you for your work!” Xu Yang offered. Acts of kindness such as these bolstered his confidence.