Chapter-8

Lan Wangji sighed deeply. His eyes were dry from watching monitors all day. He leaned back and rubbed them, hoping to bring them some relief. The past three days have been spent by. All administration, work and secrecy. This merger would be the death of him. He tilted his head back and heard his neck crack. He hadn’t had any time for himself nor had he any time to speak to Lan Xichen. What would Lan Xichen say? Would it be about the marriage his father mentioned? Lan Wangji groaned.

He’d crafted his image carefully to make it obvious that he had no interest in women. Yet, it seems there was still one interested in him.

“Maybe I should look for the intern again?” he glanced at the wordy screen with disinterest.

Bringing him out of his daze, the door to his office opened.

“Brother, apologies for the intrusion but I’ve brought an important guest...”

Lan Xichen had a worried smile on his face. He stepped in to hold the door open for the guest. An unfamiliar, tall, slim woman walked in. She was dressed in beige formal pants and a silk button down. Her black hair was tied back in a fuss-free bun. She had refined features and an elegant manner. She walked empty handed into Lan Wangji’s office.

“Mr.Lan Wangji,” the lady sat across from him, crossing her legs. She looked around the spacious office with keen curiosity.

“Can I help you?” Lan Wangji frowned.

“Wen Qing” slid a sleek metal card holder out from her pocket and clicked it open to reveal a single card. She took the card between her forefinger and thumb and held it out.

“As you’ve likely heard, we saved you,” she brushed off dust that had settled on his platinum nameplate and looked into Lan Wangji’s eyes with a wild energy.

“Oh?” Lan Wangji leaned back.

So the merger was for a reason. The company was not doing as well as he'd thought. He glanced at Lan Xichen pointedly.

“We are very happy Wen decided to join teams with us and we're excited for the future!“ Lan Xichen spoke formally in Wen Qing’s direction.

He pulled his chair away as he sat down, putting some distance between him and Wen Qing. He looked like he was restraining himself from fleeing the scene. Lan Wangji raised an eyebrow,

“I hate small talk-“

“So do I, Lan Wangji. Since you are to marry me, I wanted to introduce myself in person,” Wen Qing stated.

Lan Wangji tensed up. He knew his face betrayed shock. It was too late to clamp it down now.

“Oh? Has Lan Xichen not informed you yet?” Wen Qing laughed, loud and throaty, “Well, consider this a proposal! I should have brought flowers!”

Lan Wangji glared openly at Lan Xichen. But he couldn’t sustain his anger, Lan Xichen looked back at him like a caged animal.

“I know you. Your habits-“ she continued, waving a manicured hand, “That’s why. You’ll marry me.”

“My habits?” Lan Wangji spoke through clenched jaws.

“You’re gay, are you not?” Wen Qing complained with humor.

Lan Xichen inhaled sharply, nearly losing his breath. He coughed, struggling to regain his composure. His face had gone from helplessness to pure pain. The situation has predictably gone out of his hand. Lan Wangji’s eyes flitted from his brother to Wen Qing. She pressed on,

“So am I. I marry you for the name, the company, and we do whatever we like outside of the marriage. It’s perfect.”

Wen Qing stood up, satisfied with the conversation. She smiled and turned to leave.