Chapter-14

It was early the following Monday morning when Xu Yang walked into Lan Wangji's office.

“Congratulations, Mr. Lan!” Xu Yang set down a hamper of goodies. Wine, chocolates, cliches.

“What is this?” Lan Wangji looked up from his screen, with tired eyes.

“A small gift we put together over the weekend! From all of us!” Xu Yang winked back at other employees through the glass doors, “the wine is a favorite!”

“Thank you. What is this for exactly?” Lan Wangji lifted an irritated eyebrow at the glaringly tacky burgundy bow tied around the hamper.

"Well..." Xu Yang dragged his words coyly, "a little bird told us you were getting engaged! To Wen Qing! Word had been going around ever since the meeting about the merger and with Master Lan's email confirming it, we thought-"

"When?"

"I'm sorry?"

"When did he email you?"

Xu Yang stuttered, "It must have been last Friday night?"

Lan Wangji bit back a bitter laugh. It was the day his father had barged in on them.

“Do you know where the cleaner is?” Lan Wangji questioned.

“Hm?”

“Weiying, the cleaner. Have you seen him today?”

“No... why?”

Lan Wangji pressed a palm above his brow and chuckled mirthlessly, “Maybe he’d like some of these chocolates as an early birthday gift.”

Xu Yang frowned and shook his head, “I don’t know why you care about such a trifling matter when you’re getting married. Wen Qing is a great catch!”

“She’s extremely capable! With you by her side, I’m sure the two of you will reach immeasurable heights and lead the company to greener pastures!” Xu Yang smiled broadly.

The jealousy was only too apparent. Lan Wangji clenched his jaw. Images of Wen Qing waving to crowds, with a stoic Lan Wangji beside flashed in his mind. The promise of a successful future and closely guarded secrets. Forever.

“Fucking stifling.”

“Excuse me?”

“The heat,” Lan Wangji undid his jacket and shook it off.

“Oh! Yes! Summer is coming up!” Xu Yang laughed without humor.

A buzz interrupted the hollow conversation. Lan Wangji waved Xu Yang away to open the text message.

📲Song Lan

Here is the information you requested, sir.

Attachment: 1 image

U

pon opening the image, he brought a hand up to his chin, his eyes widened in glee.

“Hah?” Lan Wangji pondered aloud, "Perhaps I should meet with Wen Qing after-all."

__________________________________

Wen Qing brought the cup of coffee to her lips. She looked out the large window with a wistful expression. In the orange hues of the setting sun, she appeared calm and statuesque.

“What’re you looking at?” Lan Wangji’s mocking voice brought her back from her reverie.

“Making sure the paparazzi you hired has a good angle?” he smirked as he took the seat opposite her.