Bipolar - 2030

This is not at all what I expected. Everyone here knows who I am, even though I'm just a pledge. They are all treating me as if I won the Nobel Peace Prize. All the members and pledges are here, even sorority girls from several different houses. The place is so packed. A familiar head of bleached blonde hair is in the crowd. My heart sinks. Hillary.

Don't come over. Don't come over, I silently beg.

Her eyes fall upon me and she smiles brightly. Damn.

She walks over to us. Then she spots Lana. Her eyes glance at our intertwined hands, then back to me. "Hey Ryan," she grins, her teeth blindingly white. "Congrats on the win! This is big for you guys!"

Lana stares at the girl. "Thanks. By the way, this is Lana. Lana, meet—"

"Hi, Lana. I'm Hillary," Hillary extends her hand.

"Nice to meet you, Hillary." Lana smiles back, shaking it.

"So, you're that waitress, right?" Hillary says sweetly, though daggers shoot from her eyes.

"Yup," Lana says, with a half-grin.

"Oh, so are you two here together?" Hillary's smile looks frozen.

"Yup," Lana answers again.

She turns to me. "Listen, we had a ton of fun at the movie you were going to see with me and the girls. I'd love to do it again. With you this time."

My eyes widen and threaten to fall out of my head. This girl is something else. Lana cocks her head and grins. "So," I say quickly for Lana's benefit, "Who are you here with? Your sorority?"

"Yeah, you remember my sisters. They were the ones giving you new pledges lap dances in the limo bus." My heart drops, and I look at Lana. But she is unfazed. "But I see you are keeping different company these days. I hope she's as much fun."

Lana grins widely. "He's allergic to bleach. Happy accident for me."

Hillary's eyes narrow on Lana. "Nice outfit."

"Nice Botox." Lana grins.

Hillary draws a deep breath, letting her smile fade for a moment. "See you later, Ryan." She smiles again, back to her old self. "Let me know if you change your mind."

Lana's hand tightens on mine. "I'm really sorry about that—"

Lana chuckles. "Oh, I know how to deal with rich brats like her."

I nod, as she pulls me further into the house. We make our way through the crowd. There are so many people here. They all pat my back and call my name as we weave through the crowd. It's all great, but I wish that it was only me and Lana here. I want to hold her, smell her perfume, and look into her eyes. I'm a lovesick puppy, and I'm totally okay with it.

Someone grabs my shoulders. "Bro, everyone loves you!" Alex yells in my ear.

"Thanks, man. This is an awesome party."

"Come with me. I want to show you something." Alex waves over at us to follow him.

I grab Lana's hand and follow him. We end up on the third floor, then enter a section forbidden to pledges. "Wow," I whisper. It's super nice up here. It almost looks like a presidential suite.

I turn to Lana. She has to be impressed. She's not. Lana frowns, eyeing the place with disdain.

He starts showing us around. "This is where most of the leaders of the fraternity stay," he says, pointing out their own private balcony.

I look back at Lana and her eyes wander. She looks around the room like she would rather be anywhere else but here. Clearly, she is not impressed.

"Come in! This is the Presidential room." Alex says, opening a back door.