29.

•| ⊱✿⊰ |• •| ⊱✿⊰ |•

Don't forget to comment, vote, and follow <3

***

"Matteo, what are you doing here?" Nina's eyes widened as she peered at the mournful man in front of her. He looked defeated. 

Matteo was defeated. Nina looked exhausted, and he couldn't bare to see her that way. He took one step closer to her slouched body and cupped her face with his palms. Using his thumb to rub her cheek, he brought his lips to her forehead and placed a gentle kiss. 

"Nina... why didn't you tell me?" Matteo's voice was barely audible as he rested his head on her shoulder. 

Nina swallowed hard in an attempt to stop herself from crying. She hated that Matteo provided such comfort, because that meant her body was comfortable crying in front of him. 

"I-" Nina cleared her throat and pushed herself away from his body. Matteo's hand fell down to his side and he stared at her like the action physically hurt him. "It's not a big deal. I didn't want to bother you." 

Matteo felt rejected by Nina's withdrawal. All he wanted to do was comfort her as much as possible, but he knew she's scared. She's scared of the affection. She's scared of the support. She's scared of being taken care of. 

"You're not bothering me. I came here on my own accord to check up on you because I care about you. That's it." Matteo took another step inside of Nina's apartment, and she took another step back. 

"I'm okay. See?" Nina smiled wide to prove to Matteo that she was okay, but her eyes told a different story. 

When a few seconds passed by without either of them saying a word, Nina made her way back to the front door. "Thank you for checking up on me, but I'm okay. I'll see you soon, okay Matteo?" She held the door open and patiently waited for Matteo to leave. 

Matteo had other plans. Instead of walking out, he sat down on Nina's couch. Nina's mouth hung slightly open as she tried to think of what to say that could make him leave, but she couldn't think of anything. Was that her body subconsciously telling her that she didn't actually want him to leave?

Nina found herself inching closer and closer to the couch until she was standing right in front of his sitting body. He spread his legs out and slouched back against the sofa. Matteo's hands rubbed his legs as he tilted his head up and met Nina's gaze with soft eyes. 

"Are you going to sit?" Matteo made sure to hold her gaze as he patted his leg to let her know she could sit down. 

Nina peeped down at his leg and took a deep breath. Why did she feel like she was craving his touch? Hesitantly, Nina took a seat on Matteo's leg, her blanket still wrapped tightly around her body. Matteo's arm snaked around her waist and pulled her closer to him. 

Nina took this opportunity to place her head on his shoulder and get a whiff of his addictive scent. She loved the manly smell of his cologne. Automatically, her body melted into his. She hated it... but loved it.

 Matteo rubbed her side and smiled at his success. He would settle for this type of affection. "You like this?" Matteo wanted her to admit that he was making her feel better. Maybe it was his ego speaking, but he wanted her to want him the way he did. 

Matteo didn't want to be the only one falling. 

Nina whispered in a small voice. "Yes." 

Matteo would never admit he loved it as well. He loved holding her close to him. He loved her sweet scent, and her body, and her cute face.