First and Last

TWs: mentions of death

The first day of school was intimidating, but at least George had his favorite brother. Not that he didn't love his other brothers, but he had a special bond with Fred, one that could never be broken.

The last day of the first year was so bittersweet. He was saying goodbye to some of the greatest people he's ever met. But, all that mattered was that he wasn't alone. He technically had Percy, but he didn't really get along well with him. But he did have Fred, who was his best friend.

The first period Fred got was in the summer between their first and second year. George would always remember the sheer panic his twin brother had when he first woke up with bloodied underwear, the way that he cried into their mother's arms about being all wrong. How George, for the first time, was unable to console him.

The last period Fred got was normal. George helped him, gave him a blanket that he had magicked into being warm and gave him lots of chocolate and cuddles or space whenever he needed it. George never imagined it would be the last one he ever got. 

The first day of Ron's schooling was so fun. George teased their mother at the train station, he played around with his best friends, and was so excited that Fred had his first kiss with Lee. He always knew that those two would get together, it was only a matter of time.

The last day of school for him and his twin was exciting. Fred always knew that he didn't do well in school. All it was good for was pranking people with Fred and Lee. There were fireworks on the last day, yelling and laughing. Of course, he and Fred got in trouble with Molly, but it was worth it. So very worth it.

The first day of their business was a little stressful and overwhelming. It was so fun, however. They made so much money, not enough to repay the debt they had made to get into the business, but definitely a lot of money. 

The last day of his business was rough. George felt awful for shutting it down, but he couldn't handle it anymore. This was their dream, he couldn't do it anymore without him. It just wasn't the same. George didn't explain to the customers why he was shutting it down, he didn't even know if they knew that Fred was... but he would never forget the pouts and the whining and the crying that came with his announcement. 

The first time he saw Fred, he didn't remember it. Maybe it was while they were still in the womb, maybe it was after they both were out. But George knew it was one of the best days in the universe. Two souls that were bonded together in ways that little people would ever understand. Nothing could ever break them apart, or so what they both thought.

The last time he ever saw Fred was the worst moment of his life. The way his brother was frozen in a laugh, the light in his eyes gone. The way his brother, his best friend, was dirty and bleeding from the rumble around them. The way that Percy, Percy who didn't like talking much to them, was crying and clinging to Fred. The way Molly screamed and sobbed. The way that Fred would never again be able to fully be happy again.

The first day of his life without a twin was harder than words can say. The room felt so empty when he woke up, so void of joy and life. The smile never reached his eyes whenever someone congratulated him for helping win the war, those people would never know what he lost. 

The last day of his life was a peaceful one. He was surrounded by his family, his children. Yes, he died alone in his sleep. His wife had died three years prior, but the whole day was nice. Everyone didn't even know it would be the last one. But, at long last, after decades of waiting, George finally got to reunite with his best friend, and now, his wife and eldest child. Everything was right for him once again. The only complaint he ever had was that Fred didn't get to be around for enough of their life, of his life.

The first thing that Fred said to him when he got there was:

"It's a shame you got old," and it was accompanied by a young laugh that George hadn't heard in so, so many years.

"It's a shame you didn't."