a little cringy NOI moment that never happened

A/N: this scene is from the time where aru got insulted by the fountain of compliments lolll, i found it really funny when i was reading and i thought of this cringy thing that could've happened. i also really wished that aru would know she hadn't dreamed that moment in the tree of wishes and that aiden would eventually tell her about the song, so... yeah! its sorta a mess and idk what i was thinking when i wrote it so hope you enjoy 💀

"HAHAHAHHHAHAHAHAHAHA-" Aru harrumphed as Brynne wheezed for breath then cackled, doubled over in laughter again. As they made their way to Aiden's grandmother, they passed a fountain. More specifically, a Fountain of Compliments. It hadn't found anything to compliment about Aru, which Brynne had found extremely funny.

"You're really brave... to wear those clothes! You haven't peaked yet! There's still time!" Brynne imitated. Aiden had been laughing earlier, but now he was solemn and quiet. He frowned a little as he heard what they were talking about. So many things were going through his mind.

Quest to save the world.

Aiden's grandmother.

Aru.

Also Aru.

More Aru.

Crushes are the worst.

Can't argue with that, now can we?

I mean, it was pretty funny when the fountain trolled her like that, but honestly there's so much to admire about her. She's so pretty and smart and... Aiden shook himself quickly. I can't do this. She will be the death of me. I can't stop thinking about her. But... I can't keep thinking about her. Aiden glanced at Aru, but she was deliberately looking away. The few times she held his gaze, it was to glare at him angrily.

He couldn't blame her, after how he had treated her before and after the Thing. He could feel her quiet fury, tense and ready to erupt into a storm. It was like the acrid tang in the air before a thunderstorm. He didn't regret the kiss, exactly, but he didn't want to die and his feelings were so mixed up and he knew now that he loved Aru, while Aru probably just had a crush on him. He didn't know what to do, what to say, how to make things better.

Quietly, Aiden hung back to talk to Aru. Brynne saw the look in his eyes and moved forward to engage in conversation with Mini and Rudy. Aru immediately recognized the trap and began to look around warily, but Aiden was already next to her. She began to speed up.

"Shah, wait up-" he tried weakly. But Aru cut him off.

"For what? We have no time to waste, you know." Aru's eyes were hardened, but he always saw so many emotions in those luminous dark brown depths. Though, at the moment he mostly saw anger towards him. aasjfsdhsddals why'd i mess up so badly...

"I- I just wanted to tell you something," Aiden stammered.

"So? Say it so we can hurry up." Aru stopped and crossed her arms, glaring at him, leaning against the wall. It struck him that she had been in the same pose- minus the glaring- when he had told her that the Thing was a mistake. Her hair flowed down her shoulders gracefully.

Suddenly, he realized he hadn't moved. Unfreezing, Aiden impulsively leaned closer. He saw something flicker in Aru's eyes, a flash of a feeling that she quickly buried. "I just wanted to tell you that even though the fountain couldn't find anything to say about you, I really do think that you're so amazing."

For once, he had allowed himself to say what he felt.

And... it seemed that Aru, for a split second, looked like she was affected by what he said. There was a flicker in her eyes, but then she spoke.