Chapter 7: Sunsets and You

- ABBY -

Present Time

"I'm glad to finally see you back home and takin' a bloody break from work, Trish." Kirstin's welcoming blue eyes turned to raging waves. "And speakin' of which, ya know how I bloody fuckin' hate Fon right now? I swear to god I'm gonna break every bone in her body when I see her." She spat through gritted teeth.

"How could she do that? After everythin' ya both went through... the bond... the love and care... I don't bloody get it. How could she betray ya like that? Throw ya under the bus as if ya were nothin'?"

She then huffed angrily and snatched her melting frappuccino from the table. "I should've booked a ticket and slapped the livin' crap out of her the day ya called. The sheer audacity. God, I wish I could have punched her in the face."

I couldn't help but let out a chuckle, amused by how Kirstin was literally turning red out of anger. "Calm down, will ya," I said, shaking my head. "I'll have my revenge, but legally. We don't have to resort to physical violence. My lawyer's already working on it, and P'Fon will get what she deserves." I grabbed my iced Americano and took a sip.

Kirstin, her blonde hair now dyed chocolate brown, looked at me, full of concern swimming in her eyes. "How are ya doin', old Nan? I don't have my socials anymore, but I reckon what horrible things the internet must have been sayin'."

I sighed. "I'm fine."

"Please tell me you're not gonna go back to the industry? Just please, please stay here and take care of I don't know—cattle and horses; make fresh milk and cheese—just run ya Dad's business."

I softly smiled, "I dunno. I'm still not sure what to do next. I reckon I'll stay here for a bit while I figure things out or just until the contract issue is resolved. To return to the industry means findin' a new agency, which I'm not too keen on doing right now."

"How 'bout ya just do actin' here?" the woman across me suggested, her blue eyes beaming. "I caught up with some of our old classmates from high school who are now workin' in the film industry. Ya don't have to head all the way back to Thailand, old Nan. You've built up a solid rep and a ripper portfolio, so I reckon you'll be fair dinkum qualified to pursue a career here or anywhere in the world."

Kirstin's suggestion made me feel a little hopeful. But a bigger part of me remains unsure of whether I should go back or stay hidden from the public eye.

Not to mention how the wound from Fon's backstabbing is still fresh, and to be honest, the thought of acting and performing right now makes me want to vomit.

"I dunno," I shrugged, taking another sip from my drink.

"Ya don't have to make a decision right this minute, mate. So, no worries, a'right?" Kirstin said with a slight smile on her face. "Take all the time ya need. But once you're ready, reckon ya could give my suggestion a thought. I'll lend ya a hand."

"Thanks, Tin."

We continued to catch up, talking about her business and her recent engagement to her new boyfriend.

"I never reckoned I'd tie the knot one day. After Shawn, I bloody gave up on findin' love again, ya know," she said, smiling foolishly to herself. "But Damian made me believe in love again. He went above and beyond to show me how much he loves me every day. He's simply amazin'."

"I'm happy you finally found your person, Tin." I then recalled that night when she had called me, crying like a little child after her painful breakup with Shawn, her high school sweetheart.

I wished I had been there for her. But by that time, I was too busy building up my career. My schedule was almost always full. I didn't have time for a vacation.