Chapter 11: Francesca

- FRANS -

Nine months before meeting Abigail [Manila, Philippines]

"Francesca, alam ko anjan ka. Open this goddamn door now!"

I groaned in frustration as I ended the call from security downstairs. Ang kulit naman kasi nitong si Grace. Why can't she just give up?

Annoyed, I huffed and climbed out of bed, determined to put an end to her incessant knocking. Some of my neighbors had been complaining na nga dahil sa ingay. Kaya kahit ayoko itong pagbuksan, I dragged myself across my condo and opened the door to let her in.

"Finally, Francesca! Salamat naman at pinagbuksan mo na ako," aniya, pushing me aside to let herself in. "Aba, kung di pala nagreklamo yung mga kapitbahay mo, 'di mo ako papapasukin," dagdag niya as she walked down the living area — gasping at my mess.

"Jusko, Frans! Ang kalat naman dito. Ano bang pinaggagawa mo? Nag-quit ka sa trabaho mo, hindi mo sinasagot ang mga tawag at text ko... even your mom's. Di mo ba alam na sobrang nag-aalala si Tita Helena sa'yo?"

I ignored her nagging questions and instead slumped onto the couch, burying my head under the pillow.

"Ignore everyone, okay whatever—but please don't do that sa nanay mo, please. She was worried sick," she continued. "Francesca? Are you even listening to me?" Still, with my head buried under the pillow, I could hear Grace shuffling around, picking up my mess—most likely the sketches and crumpled papers scattered across the coffee table and on the floor. I listened as she walked out, probably into the kitchen or bathroom, I don't know; I just heard doors opening and closing and more pacing around the room.

"My god, sobrang kalat po," reklamo nito, her voice, if I'm guessing it correctly, was coming from my room. "Francesca."

"What?" I mumbled, my face still planted on my pillow.

By now, I know it was obvious to Grace how unusual it was for me to be this messy. How could she not? She was my college roommate, best friend, and ex-girlfriend. We basically lived together for four years. She could tell something was wrong with me before I even admitted it to myself. And right on cue:

"Frans," her nagging voice grew soft. She walked back to where I was, and I heard her defeated sigh. Grace sat on the couch, sinking into the cushion beside my legs. "Is this because we broke up?"

"What?" I shot up, my brow furrowed and looked at her in disbelief. "Of course not. Gracey, matagal na tayong break. No offense, but you know mutual yung breakup natin."

"Sabihin ko sana 'ouch,' but you and I both know how our short-lived romance was the biggest yikes we've ever made."

I chuckled, pushing her back playfully. "Sabihin ko din sana 'wow, ha,' but true naman. Ano ba kasing nakain natin?"

"You mean, 'anong nakain ko?' You know I was to blame. I mistook your friendship as something more."

"Sus, gandang-ganda ka lang sa'kin," wika ko na siyang ikinatawa niya. Grace pushed me hard, and I landed back on the couch. Agad rin itong tumayo, grabbing for a pillow and threw it on my face.

"Yabang!"

"Totoo naman."

After a while, humupa na yung tawa namin. I didn't mean to, but my cheerful mask slipped, revealing my true mental state to Grace. The woman grew silent.

"Frans, sabihin mo nga, what's wrong ba? You can tell me, 'lam mo yan. Kahit we're basically exes now, I'm still your best friend. Always I will be, right?" tanong niya sabay upo ulit sa tabi ko.