Chapter 16: Diagnostic

The rest of the day with Ace went by comfortably. You two watched a movie together, snuggled together on the couch. You talked a little bit more, here and there, sometimes about the movie, sometimes about nothing at all. Ace took care of a couple chores while you got lunch together, and afterward you sat nearby and read while he played a video game.

It was nice to simply exist with him, exchanging the occasional shy smile. Eventually you had your ankles on his thigh, and he'd put a hand on them during a lull in the game. You were grateful for the size of the book you were reading so you could keep your composure a little easier as the afternoon carried on.

Eventually Luffy came home, with Marco in tow. You exchanged greetings, and started making dinner while the three sat in the kitchen and talked with you.

"Law said he'll be here at 6." Marco explains as you slide a cup of tea in front of him. "Oh thank you. You'll make someone quite the wife, (Y/N)." He says it with a smile, and your face turns red. You can't stop yourself from looking over at Ace, who already has his hat pulled down low.

"Oh." Marco says softly, smiling to himself.

You clear your throat a little. "Is there anything you prefer to eat?" You question.

Marco shakes his head. "I enjoy pineapple, but I'm not picky."

"You are a pineapple." Ace grumps.

"Watch it, brat, or I'll show no mercy." Marco warns, taking a sip of tea.

You chuckle at their banter and start to make stir fry for the night. It was quick to cook, but the setup and prep took a bit of time. Enough to give Sabo and Law a chance to join all of you.

While you worked, Marco told you about his curse.

"What do you know about curses?" He asks. "Do they teach the classifications to everyone?"

You nod. "Nobles, at least. There's Paramecia, Zoan, and Logia, right? Logia can control and become an element, Zoan can turn into something else, and Paramecia is kind of a catch all for otherwise hard to classify cases."

"Pretty much that, yes." Marco says. "I'm a Zoan type. I can turn into a Phoenix."

"Wait – you're Marco the Phoenix?!" You question turning to face him. Marco smiles and nods. "Oh, haha, you were a bit of a hero to me when I was younger."

"Oh?"

You laugh again as go back to work while you continue. "My father really hates you. I had no idea what you looked like, but he would complain about you, and someone named Edward Newgate all the time."

"Hah, that's Pops' name!" Ace says proudly.

Your eyes go wide, and you come over to the breakfast bar, beaming at Marco. "Wait, is it true he picked up a firetruck and carried it?"

Marco laughs, but he's nodding his head. "It's true, yoi. It's probably what upset your father. He didn't carry it alone, but he definitely left the biggest impression on the News network."

"Why'd he have to carry it?"

"Regulation change." Marco says. "They decided to classify Firetrucks as needing a special license to operate. Which, it was just a political move to try and tank the central station, they already required additional training and certification to drive, yoi.

"They made the change at 4:53pm on a Friday, and sure enough that weekend saw a lot of little nuisance fires. It was all hands on deck as we took care of them, using our abilities, pulling in all the reserves and volunteers. That Sunday afternoon a huge fire broke out. We needed the truck. If we drove it without the proper license though, they would've used it against Pops." Marco explains.