Deal Breaker

They woke the next morning to the chorus of strange animals that made their presence known as the sun rose.

Lance woke to find himself hugging Keith. He let go and Keith stretched.

'You hold on tight,' Keith said.

'Sorry.'

'It's fine.' He sat up and rubbed his eyes, before pulling on his boots. Retrieving his belt he strapped it on as he made his way to the door and cracked it open.

'There's nothing left of that dead animal,' he said. 'You wouldn't even know it had been there.

'That's disturbing,' said Lance. 'Maybe that's what happened to the villagers.'

'I can wait to get off this planet,' said Keith. 'It's scary.'

'You find something scary,' Lance said and laughed.

Keith frowned and looked at him.

'Despite what you all think of me, I do have feelings, and I do get scared.' He flung the door open and walked out.

By the time Lance got to the door, Keith was gone.

'I know you have feelings, Keith,' he muttered. He looked out over the brightening landscape. 'We all do. Even us fifth wheels.'

He moved further outside, his ankle feeling a lot better today. He didn't know when the team would get back for them so he decided to look around the village.

He found a bigger, more lavish houses in the centre of the village, along with the water source that supplied everything. There was a communal bath house, that used a fire to heat the water, weaving machines for making cloth, a bakery and mill, and what looked to be a type of church with a hall.

Every building showed signs of a hasty evacuation. He couldn't work out why or where they went.

'LANCE?'

'YEAH.' He went out into the street and waved to Keith.

Lance wondered what Keith was carrying, and went down to meet him.

'Here are your clothes,' Keith said.

'Wow, thanks.' He took them from him.

Keith's hair was wet and he had no t-shirt on. He'd tied the arms and neck bother and carried it like a bag.

Keith held it up. 'Fish.'

'Excellent. Hey, come over here, there's a bigger, fancier house, and it has its own bathroom.'

Lance lead him over to the grandest house and they went in.

There was a sudden yip sound and Lance turned. A black and blue head popped out of Keith's jacket that he carried in his arms.

Lance grinned. 'Where did you find that little one?'

'He must have gotten onto a rock at low tide and got stuck.'

Keith crouched down and a small fur ball jumped to the floor.

'He's so cute,' Lance said. He knelt down and patted it. 'Looks like a wolf.'

'It might be a cosmic wolf,' said keith. 'I heard about them when I was with the Blade. They can teleport when older.'

'Cool. I love his colours, it makes him look like a galaxy.'

'Do you think they'll let us take home with us?' asked Keith, hopefully.

'They should. Just don't take no for an answer.'

They stood and went into the kitchen area. Next to the fireplace was a stack of wood, kindling, and a pile of dried leaves the size of A4 paper.

Lance built the fire, picked up two stones from the hearth and banged them together. Sparks ignited the dried leaves, and the fire started.