Marked

Instead of going to bed, Marco moved to the table and sat down. He ran his hands through his hair and clasped them at the back of his head.

Hot tears stung his eyes.

'What's going on with you?'

Marco's head snapped up to find Lance sitting across from him. He wanted to tell him to piss off, but the words stuck in his throat. From their rooms, Keith and Luis listened to the conversation drifting through their open doors, both for different reasons. Keith, so he could go out if things got out of hand, and Luis because he wanted to know what was wrong with Marco.

'It's my fault you're caught up in this war,' said Marco. 'I should have told mama and papa the truth, that it was me stealing, and not you. Then you would have been at home, safe.'

'Not much point in worrying about it now,' Lance said.

'How can you say that? You should hate me for what I did, hate me for lying and getting you sent out here.'

'Marco, I can't say I'm happy about what you did. I hate that mama and papa died disappointed in me, but you, Luis, and the girls are the only blood family I have left. We all do things we regret, and I have certainly done my fair share over the years. The truth is, you've done nothing I can't forgive you for. I would never have met Keith if I didn't go to the Garrison.'

'Are you really serious about him?"

'Hell yes, and I won't hesitate to walk away if you really can't accept our relationship, family or not.'

There was silence.

'Donna still asks after you,' Marco said.

'I don't know why. I would have thought she'd just chalk our relationship up to experience and forget about me.'

'She used to call mama once a week to talk and ask after you.'

'Really, after three something years?'

'You must have done something right. She's a nice girl, you two seemed right for each other.'

Lance shook his head. 'I was just trying to be something I wasn't and making myself miserable in the process. I only went out with her to make mama happy. Donna was nice and all, but I never thought about her when we weren't together, and I dreaded meeting up with her. Keith on the other hand, I fell for him the moment I saw him. AS much as you like a pretty girl, I like a handsome man.'

'I just don't get it,' said March. 'How can you not like sexy legs and big tits?'

'Because I get turned on by muscles and a dick.'

Marco rolled his eyes. 'When did you become so crude?'

'About the time I had to put my big boy pants on and got to the Garrison. There's no room for sissies there. If you don't grow a massive set of balls, someone will wipe the floor with you.'

'And Keith? He looks too small and innocent to be any threat.'

Lance laughed. 'Oh, so don't underestimate him. He is literally a ninja assassin. You piss him off and he'll rip your arms off and heat you to death with them.'

Marco blinked at him trying to work out if Lance was kidding in the end, he decided he wasn't.

'Then why are you with him?'

Lance stood. 'Because he's a fucking excellent shag.' He headed to the bedroom. 'You better get some sleep.'

Lance slipped back under the blanket and snuggled into Keith on the small bed.

'Excellent shag, hey?' Keith murmured.

'You were listening.'

'Just to make sure I didn't need to come and rip his arms off and beat him with them.'