Chapter 20

~ Last Chapter ~

"Dinah!"

My best friend turned to face her mate's sharp gaze with a sheepish grin, looking up from the pinball game she was invested in. "Yes, darling, love of my life, what can I do for you?"

Normani hitched a hand on her hip and arched an eyebrow at her too-sweet tone. Ari was holding her other hand, watching the exchange, all too accustomed to the banter between her guardians.

"You could play with one of the children. You know, the little people who are the reason we're here in the first place?"

For Justin's fourth birthday, we'd brought the kids to a children's arcade. Dinah had bolted off to do her own thing the minute we'd arrived.

Dinah gave Normani a winning grin and grabbed Ari, who squealed with laughter as she tossed her over her shoulder.

"Sure thing. Come on Ari, we can have some fun, can't we?"

"Yep, kitty!" Ari chirped, happy to trade Normani's company for Dinah's. Dinah was the perfect partner in crime for a place like this.

Normani turned to where Camila and I stood, setting her sights on my girlfriend, who was tucked under my arm. Camila held the small stuffed bear I'd picked out for her with my prize tickets.

"Come on Mila. I want someone to shoot hoops with me."

She didn't wait for a response, grabbing my girlfriend's arm and dragging her away. Camila shrugged and dropped a kiss on my cheek as she was tugged out of my arms. "See you later."

Left with no better alternative, I joined Dinah, who was trying to teach Ari how to work the pinball machine with little success. She was holding her up so she could reach the buttons, which made it difficult to demonstrate how to use the controls.

"No Ari," She laughed, as Ari  plinked the arms of the pinball machine in an incessant rhythm with no rhyme or reason. "You have to wait until the ball comes, and then you hit it."

I watched with amusement. "Maybe it's above her skill level? She's only three."

Dinah shot me a determined look. "She's getting the hang of it. Aren't you, Ari?"

"Yep, I'm doing good!" Ari agreed, glancing up from where she continued to mash the buttons with fervor, her little tongue poking out in deep concentration.

I kissed her head. "You're doing great."

Under Normani's guidance, Ari must have been doing pretty well with other games, because the front kangaroo pocket on her overalls was overflowing with strings of tickets. The end of one of them was trailing on the floor.

I bent down to pick them up for her. Noticing where my attention was diverted, Ari pushed my face away with an affronted look. "Mine! Not for Teddy!"