Chapter 15

Callista Miller

Isaac squirmed beside me. I refused to acknowledge him. I have been ignoring him. He deserved it for lying to me. We were on the way to my home in his car. It was a tense silence. The atmosphere was heavy inside. I knew he can feel my anger. It was palpating. More than the anger, I was hurt. I truly thought of him as my good friend. The only friend with whom I can share my every feeling. Guess, I can never have that luxury.

"Calli, please talk to me."

I can hear the desperation in his voice. Therefore I think, I answered him.

"What do you want me to say?"

He remained silent and resigned to glance at me from the corner of his eyes.

"I lost my trust in you, Isaac. You shouldn't have lied to me. You are a mafia leader for god's sake!"

"And Ares, your love? He is a mafia heir of the world's biggest mafia syndicates. You are a fucking hypocrite!"

I stilled in shock. Isaac too stopped the car abruptly. He had an apology written on his face but I was having none of it.

"You are right. I love a killer. So you should have known that I won't mind you being in a mafia. I just don't understand why would you lie to me?!"

Isaac turned to face me. I worried my lower lip. His eyes have darkened with his mouth turned down.

"There are things that you are unaware of."

"What things?"

Isaac remained silent, not answering me. I was getting frustrated with him. I had enough. I looked out the window to see that we are outside my house. Hand on the door, I was about to step out of the car when Isaac spoke,

"The mafias are full of lies and secrets. So dark that it can suck you in. There's no going back."

"They are just excuses."

I didn't turn around. I felt Isaac get over me and close the door shut. He was hovering over me. Now, I was angry.

"Ares and I are enemies."

He dropped the bomb on me. I was frozen in shock. My widened eyes kept looking at his blue cerulean ones. They were honest and serious. The reality dawned on me. My fear came true.

"So, y-you....ahmm, you approached me...for extracting i-information about Ares?"

Isaac put his hands beside either side of my head and leaned in. My breath hitched. I couldn't push him away. I couldn't feel my arms. I was so out of mind in shock.

"To some point, yes."

Before I could ask him, he leaned further and whispered in my ear. I clutched the car seat, feeling afraid.

"You are becoming his weakness, Calli. I had to be close to you. You will come in handy in future."

I finally pushed him away. He sank back in his seat. But his eyes never left mine. His eyes have taken upon a darker look, full of mirth and coldness. I didn't dare to breathe.

"You are evil! I cannot believe this!"

"You can say whatever, Calli. This is how the mafia works. We use the weakness of our enemies to win over them."

I looked away. My ears were ringing and my heart was pounding. I don't know what to feel. I understand why Isaac did what he did. I don't want to but still, I do.

"I care for you truly, Calli. Believe me. I think I like you and I want to be with you."

My heart couldn't beat harder than it already was. My head snapped at him in surprise. What the hell!