Chapter 28

Callista Miller

_

Ares watched the dot move on the phone. I had planted a tracker on Isaac as Ares had instructed me. They were outside of the city. Ares gave me a chaste kiss, "Well done, baby." He got up and stared at his army of mercenaries, addressing them, "It's time to take revenge for our king and princess. Let's kill those fuckers!" The men chorused, "Kill those fuckers!" Ares's friends were not there. I don't know why. They were not involved in the plan strangely. Ares turned to me as the men left to go to the location. He smiled as he caressed my cheek, "Callista, I will bring your parents safely. You stay in my mansion." I shook my head as I held his hand, "No. I want to go with you."

He kissed my forehead as he spoke, "It's dangerous there. I can't risk your life." I don't know why I was feeling so agitated suddenly. I had a feeling something inauspicious was going to happen. It was a gut feeling. My heart sank. I hugged him, "Do you have to go? Your men and Wrath can deal with Ubel and can get my parents." Ares hugged me tightly, "I must take my long-awaited revenge." I looked into his eyes, holding him tight, "You got what you wanted. Please don't leave me." Ares wiped below my eyes. I felt the tears slip. He kissed my eyes, "I had worked hard and waited for years for this moment. I can't let it go, Callista."

Ares kissed me silent before I could refute him. The kiss was soft, slow, and passionate. He was expressing emotions for the first time. He was caressing my skin so gently that my eyes filled with tears. Ares pulled back with a rare smile on his face, and confessed, "Thank you for everything, Callista Miller." He slipped from my hold. Panicked, I followed after him as I was saying, "I--" but he was gone and my words died down. I love you.

I stood in silence alone, left back. It felt suffocating, in a sense abandoning. I couldn't tolerate it. I couldn't think of staying a second away from Ares. And most importantly, I couldn't tell him how much I loved him before he went to war. No, I must go with him. I looked down at my phone and clenched it hard. Ares, I need you. And I cannot live without you. Taking a deep breath, I went out of Ares's mansion. Oddly, no one was there, not even the house help and maids. The location was a stark light shining against the rainy night. A thunder struck in the background as I stepped out of the mansion gate, soaking in the rain. I booked a cab and once it rolled before me, I sat inside with sinking instincts clouding my every sense.

The cab stopped a few meters before the location as I had instructed. I stepped out and took a deep breath. The cab rolled away behind me. My eyes scanned the location in my phone and then looked before me. There were no cars around I knew Ares and his men left in. Strange. In the vast never-ending land stood a lone tall tower made up of cement bricks. If the situation was not dire and upsetting, I would have compared it to one in any fairytale, like Rapunzel's Tower. I pocketed my phone and felt the knife and gun I brought with me.

Cautiously without making any noise, I stepped beside the door of the tower. Still, there was no noise from inside can be heard. Did I come to the wrong place? The inside was illuminated by a faint white light. The place was dirty, full of dust, and debris. There was a staircase leading upstairs. Without any noise, I took the stairs step by step. A floor above, I could hear faint noises, grunts and moans. There was a small hole in the wall, I noticed. I peeked through it inside. I gasped and stumbled back. The men, Ares's and others, were fighting below. The room must have been soundproof. I went floors above. I came across two rooms with open doors. It appeared like someone occupied it. A cot of iron, an iron jug and glass above a dressing table, and an iron almirah. That's all in the room. The things were pushed here and there like someone was pushed around. I opened the almirah to see girls' clothing. I walked out of the room to see the other to find the same only the almirah had the clothing of a man. Another floor above, I found a set of rooms. They were cells with chains hanging off the roof, floor, and walls, the floor had dried blood and smelled metallic and rotten. I gulped and left, feeling sick, someone was tortured here.