IX: Hit Me With Your Best Shot

In the matter of a couple of days, Reese's life had switched from sleeping on an air mattress to a night of intermittent sleep in a run-down motel and sporadic naps in the passenger seat of Damon Salvatore's car

In the matter of a couple of days, Reese's life had switched from sleeping on an air mattress to a night of intermittent sleep in a run-down motel and sporadic naps in the passenger seat of Damon Salvatore's car. She was fed, showered, and clothed, but somehow the lack of five star hotels made being on-the-go less fun.

What a downgrade.

Other than that, Damon also caught her up on everything she'd missed, from Jenna dying to Elijah being daggered to the trail of bodies Stefan and Klaus had already begun to leave behind. Reese got the sense she'd checked out right at the climax — yeah, it seemed that everything had been pretty intense and angsty, but she would've liked to see how the curse was broken. She also would've liked to gloat to Elijah's face after he failed to kill Nik, exactly how she said he would.

It was a lot of information to re-adapt her plan to, so she made a list of her priorities:

1)  Get calm. Rage would get her nowhere; it never did her any good. If she were to see Nik's face in her present state she'd start off strong but it'd end up useless. She was bound to slip up. And if there was one thing she was sure of right now, it was that nothing was going to ruin her revenge. Not even her own emotions.

2) Keep Damon from hounding her. Her plan was going to take time. She wanted Nik to scour the country for werewolves, find them after a grueling summer, and then watch himself fail to complete the simple task of creating more hybrids. She wanted him to feel hopeless, knowing he'd already ruined his last shot at figuring that shit out.

3) Speaking of werewolves, she needed to get word out fast that Nik was coming for them.

4) Go home!

The fourth was what they were working on right now: Damon was driving her to New Orleans. That would be around 10 hours on the road, listening to his boring voice complain and whine and attempt to insult her.

Strangely, though, Reese wasn't in the mood to complain. She was going home, after all — that storm of dread in her stomach was enough to distract her from bickering with Damon.