Chapter 2

Kawahira was a handsome man. He had beautiful snow white hair, pale skin, and circular glasses over his dark brown eyes. His clothes were casual and inexpensive, yet his mannerisms and demeanor showed elegance. Even with his somewhat tacky clothes, he still looked refined and had this atmosphere around him that made him approachable and comfortable. Which he was, he was very generous and helpful to the people around him. Despite his attitude and appearance, Kawahira was so mysterious as well, and his eyes seemed as if they knew every secret and meaning of the world.

Maybe that's why he and Tomoe became close.

Also because Asuna liked Kawahira, he was always polite and spoke in her home language. Her mother loved speaking Japanese and missed talking to others besides Tomoe in her native tongue. So because of that, Kawahira decided to take a step further to make time in his day to approach Tomoe and Asuna just to talk and have a chat over some tea.

Maybe that's what drew Tomoe's interest towards him.

After two weeks of being around Kawahira and getting more comfortable with him, he suddenly dropped a metaphoric bomb onto her.

"Tomoe, I can't help but be curious as to how a dual flame wielder like you hasn't gotten caught or noticed by the mafia yet," Kawahira suddenly said, speaking in Japanese, casually taking a sip of his tea as the fourteen year old across from him spat out hers, choking.

"Cough cough! Wha- cough!"

"Don't think I didn't notice. Despite hiding them pretty well, I can feel all the sky flames emitting from you surrounding the area," he explained, placing his cup down as Tomoe recovered from her coughing fit.

"You know about flames?" Tomoe questioned, curious and suspicious, her body becoming alert in case he suddenly attacked her.

But Kawahira wouldn't attack her... right? They were friends. He casually mentioned flames to her so maybe he wanted to help and inform her of the flames and their connection to the mafia! Her posture loosened up as she tried to relax, thinking of the good of the man across from her. Not once did his body language change and he looked like he wouldn't harm her.

"Of course I do. Everyone involved or having involvement with the mafia or Chinese Triads know of Dying Will Flames," Kawahira answered, letting a small smile slip. "Please don't look so skittish Tomoe, I will explain what I know to you."

Tomoe leaned forward, eager for his knowledge as something in the back of her head seemed to buzz. The term he used for these flames... she felt like she heard it before. "Then, start with these... Dying Will Flames? After that explain their connection with the mafia and how you knew I had two flames!"

Kawahira of course, explained to Tomoe the concepts of Dying Will Flames, the different types of flames and their powers of what they could do, and their connection to the mafia along with the Omerta.

"So the purity of a flame represents someone's relationship with the strength of their resolve and determination, and the higher the purity the stronger you are?"

"Yes, that somewhat summarizes it. Among several other things, the rate of purity also serves to indicate how much of the special characteristics of the flames are being drawn out."

"And the purity relates to soft and hard flames, but that mainly has to do with sky and mist flames."

"Correct."

"What determines the purity and strength of flames? Like how do you get that much resolve?"

"It is your dying will," Kawahira answered. "The stronger you're dying will, the stronger the flames."