Fire on Fire.

"I don't say a word
But still, you take my breath and steal the things I know
There you go, saving me from out of the cold"

Fire on Fire by Sam Smith

AKA the anthem of the gays🏳️‍🌈

"I can't believe I'm doing this. Jimin, what if they find out and like... disown me?" I panicked, voice growing increasingly high in pitch.

Jimin sighed, staring at the headrest of the seat in front of him. "How would they find out? They don't exactly frequent this part of town, and even then, the whole street is blocked for the parade."

I took a breath, nodding my head. "Y-You're right. I need to stop freaking out. I just have never done anything like this before."

"I know, Kook," he smiled and squeezed my thigh, right above my knee. "I'm proud of you for wanting to feel the freedom of being who you truly are."

As the Uber driver neared the parade, all the colors of the rainbow were visible, reflecting off the glass windows of the businesses on either side of the street. The booming bass caused the car to shake, the loud cheers of the people heard through the windows of the vehicle.

"You can drop us right here!" Jimin informed the driver, opening the door the second the car stopped moving. "Are you ready?"

I nodded, swallowing the lump in my throat before getting out of the car, thanking the driver.

Only a few steps onto the street after the car drove off, and a man ran up to us. He wore thick eyeliner, purple and pink glitter in the corners of his eyes, with green eyeshadow. His shirt read "Gay AF" in rainbow letters, making me smile.

"Hi darlings!" He squealed, engulfing us in hugs, despite us being total strangers. "My name is Ethan! I want to welcome you to Pride 2023!"

I gave a nervous smile as Jimin spoke. "Are you going to bless us with the leis this year?"

Ethan nodded, meeting eyes with me. "How do you identify?"

"I'm sorry?" I asked, unsure exactly of the question.

Jimin cleared his throat. "Sorry, Ethan. He's sure of his sexuality but isn't out of the closet to most people, so he isn't used to being asked things like that."

Ethan tilted his head. "Oh, honey! Well, I hope you find what you're looking for at Pride today! I'm gay! What are you?" He asked Jimin this time, allowing him to take the lead.

"I'm gay. Give me the rainbow shit!"

Ethan and I chuckled at Jimin. I watched my best friend's smile grow wider as a rainbow lei was placed around his neck.

"Okay, hun, what about you?"

I swallowed the lump in my throat. "I, um... I identify as Demisexual."

"Beautiful!" Ethan acknowledged with a nod. A few seconds later, my neck was adorned with a lei, flowers colored black, gray, white, and purple. "Have a fantastic time at Pride 2023!"

••

Stuffed full of food, I waddled just behind Jimin as he guided us to a good spot in preparation for the parade. More people had arrived to fill the streets in the last hour as the parade start time neared.

Getting close to the crowds, Jimin reached back, grabbing my hand, and trudging along, politely squeezing past the parade-goers until he stood at the front of the barricade.

"Why the fuck do you think you can just shove your way to the front?" One man asked, getting too close to my face for comfort.

My face flushed out of nerves as I looked at Jimin, who merely chuckled.

"It's my friend's first pride... anything. He's still closeted to everyone except me, so I am trying to give him as much access to the beauty of Pride as possible!" Jimin smiled, the man instantly melting.

"Oh. That's understandable then! No worries, um..." The man's cheeks turned a light shade of pink, making me laugh at The Jimin Effect.

"Yoongi, stop being such a whiny bitch and let them be," A deep voice said behind the upset male.

My heart rate quickened just at the sound of the voice, but the pace increased even more as I saw the face.

He smiled, lips resembling the shape of a box. His golden hair curled behind his ears, forming the beginnings of a mullet. His tan arms glistened with a faint bead of sweat from the heat, the tight rainbow-colored tank top he wore not leaving much to the imagination. Bermuda shorts with a hole in the thigh wrapped around his legs, a size or two smaller than what would be considered his size. "Kim Taehyung! This is my asshole of a best friend, Min Yoongi." He extended a hand, meeting eyes with me, refusing to let his gaze wonder.

Jimin nudged me, causing me to clear my throat. "Um, Jeon Jungkook! A-And this is my also asshole best friend, Park Jimin."

I saw Yoongi's eyes admiring Jimin from top to bottom as he bit his lip.

Taehyung let go of my hand, lips closing into a closed-lip smile. "Nice to meet you, Jungkook and Jimin. First time at Pride, huh?" His gaze once again met mine, making my heart pound out of my chest.

I nodded, swallowing the lump in my throat.

"And you're super closeted despite being into all types of genitalia, hmm?"

I nodded again. I found it difficult for my eyes to leave him. He was captivating. Outstanding.

Breathtaking.

"Sorry, Taehyung. Jungkook has never seen anyone who looks like a Greek God before apparently," Jimin apologized, making me cough.

"Jimin!"

Taehyung chuckled. "Look who speaks!"

My face turned bright red, my hands fiddling with the hem of my shirt. "O-Oh look... I think the parade is about to start."

"Jimin, does that mean you don't think I look like a Greek God?" Yoongi asked, pout resting on his face.

Jimin bumped his arm into his. "You don't, but lucky for you, I'm not into the whole Greek God thing." He winked, a blush forming on Yoongi's pale skin.

That's what I've always admired about Jimin. He's shameless. He can flirt with anyone and everyone without being super nervous. Here I am, standing next to the most attractive man I have ever met, and I can't even ask how old he is.

I closed my eyes, taking in a deep breath, and then opened my eyes once again. Just as I turned to Taehyung, having gained the courage to ask, loud music started playing from the loudspeakers.

"Hello bitchesssssssss!" The voice rang, the crowd going wild with cheers. "Welcome to Pride 2023!"

•••••

It's okay Yoongi. I think you look like a Greek God too. It's okay, baby.😅