A duel?

Jake and Serafall eventually made it to the Gryffindor table and plopped themselves down to eat. However, they noticed they were getting a bunch of cheeky stares from all the guys at the table.

"Well, now look who's decided to join us tonight," a redhead who was either George or Fred said cheekily.

"Indeed, my brother, it seems Jake the stud and his lovely beau have decided to grace us with their company," he grinned.

Jake sighed, "What are you guys talking about?"

"Well, you see", one twin started, "a little birdy told us that you and Sera went on a date today," the other continued. ""And it's almost been 6 hours since the two of you hid yourselves away, apparently."" They both finished together simultaneously.

Jake just sighed, "Nothing happened, we were just walking around." He wasn't going to tell them that he was secretly spilling his life story and then spent the rest of the time learning ice magic by being turned into a popsicle by Serafall for hours...

The twins just grinned, "Walking around for 6 hours?" They asked coyly while wiggling their eyebrows.

"Even if we were just walking around for six hours," Serafall cut in, "that just shows how much energy Jake has. Don't be jealous now, you two..." She purred out. The orange-haired twins sputtered at her innuendo. She smiled slyly as they, along with all the girls at the table secretly listening in, started blushing. Some of them even gave envious looks at Serafall...

"On another note," Jake asked, "Did you guys end up getting paid from all your bets yet?" Jake asked curiously. He figured with how many people had bet on him, there would have been a lot more celebrating in the castle.

Ron looked down dejected, "No, and you're not gonna believe why, Jake! Gringotts actually went broke!" he said.

"Wait, what!?" Jake exclaimed. What do you know? He actually broke the bank... Hopefully they wouldn't hold a grudge against him over that. He was never planning on opening an account there anyway...

"Apparently, some people bet so much money that Gringotts literally could not pay everyone their winnings at once," Harry said, trying to avoid eye contact with Ron. Harry felt bad for Ron since it was people like him who caused the bank to crash. Harry knew Ron had bet his entire life savings... 5 whole Galleons. That 500-Galleon winning payment would have been life-changing for Ron and his family. Meanwhile, Harry just went and nonchalantly bet 1000 Galleons... only a small amount of the massive pile of gold his parents left him. Gringotts would be paying him back that 100k for a long time...

"That sucks." Jake shrugged and, noticing Serafall was already eating next to him, decided to join her. He started eating himself, tuning out other conversations.

—-------------------------------------

After noticing Jake finished his meal, Ron spoke up to him. "So mate, the next task in the Triwizard Tournament, do you know what it is yet?" he asked in excitement. The other students nearby also looked at him curiously.

Jake shook his head no at Ron. "Sorry, I don't. Apparently, we were supposed to do something in the Black Lake with mermaids, at least according to McGonagall. But apparently, according to her, some hooligans set off a massive explosion on the lake and made the mermaids so angry that they aren't allowing us to go there for the tournament anymore." As he said that, he looked straight at Harry, Ron, and Hermione. The other students at the table looked at the trio as well and insinuated from Jake's look that those three were the 'hooligans'.

"Really, you three!?" An older Gryffindor girl called out. "Can't you three go a single year without getting into some kind of massive trouble!" Everyone there nodded along with her. It was always the Golden Trio causing problems...