Chapter 34: Interim

Chapter 34: Interim

Hello, Onii-chan," Jake said to Sirzechs, trying to keep a completely straight face. Sirzechs, meanwhile, had tears of joy in his eyes. His brother had finally called him Onii-chan!

"Fia-tan!" Sirzechs said to his wife with glee in his voice. "He called me Onii-chan! This day is now amazing!" Oh, how Sirzechs wished he could vaporize all the evil paperwork in front of him and spend the whole day playing with his family! Unfortunately, reality was cruel to him as he knew he'd be stuck behind his desk for the next few hours at least...

Grayfia just sighed in embarrassment at her husband's antics. Where had Jake even heard that term? He'd never been to Japan as far as she knew.

"Is there something you needed, Lord Jake?" Grayfia addressed him properly as she was on the clock and in professional maid mode.

Jake had finished up his discussion with Rias and was now in Sirzechs, or the Maou Lucifer's, private office to ask him a favor.

"I was wondering if I could actually go visit Serafall," Jake asked. He was also somewhat surprised that she herself hadn't taken the time to visit him yet and voiced his concern to his older brother.

Sirzechs looked somewhat ashamed upon hearing Jake ask about Serafall and why she had not decided to at least send a message yet. "I'm sorry, Jake," he apologized to his little brother. "The truth of the matter is that Serafall doesn't even know you've actually returned from the past yet," he looked slightly guilty when he said that.

"What!? Why!?" Jake asked.

Grayfia answered for Sirzechs. "Serafall was slightly upset that she botched the mission twenty years in the making to capture the heroes who had caused you to initially time travel in the first place. She was actually in the park during your entire encounter. She obviously couldn't interfere lest she create a time paradox. So she had to wait to capture the heroes after you had vanished. What none of us were expecting, however..." Grayfia explained.

Sirzechs cut in, "the leader who goes by Cao Cao had the True Longinus."

Jake looked confused, and Sirzechs recalled that his knowledge of sacred gears wasn't exactly stellar.

"The True Longinus," Sirzechs said, "is the most dangerous of all sacred gears to us devils." He said that sternly towards Jake, who nodded in understanding. "Even I, the strongest devil, must be very cautious when facing an opponent with such a weapon."

Jake wondered how crazy strong that sacred gear must be to be taken as a serious threat by the Maous who can destroy continents!

"So what happened next?" Jake asked, concerned. If that guy hurt Serafall, Jake didn't care what fancy weapon he had; Jake would hunt him to the ends of the earth!

Grayfia saw the anger on Jake's face and spoke to calm him. "Do not worry, Serafall is fine. It's just that, to her and our shame, she was forced to retreat and has been holed up in her family manor depressed ever since. She hasn't been answering or responding to anyone's messages."

Serafall... depressed? She was one of the most energetic and cheerful girls Jake knew. That was shocking. He felt like he needed to go see her right away! "When did this happen?" Jake asked.

"About two days ago," Sirzechs replied.

"Wait," Jake said, surprised. "I spent over half a year in the past, and it was only two days in the present?"

Sirzechs nodded and chalked it up to time travel shenanigans. Apparently, Ajuka speculated that the timeline was trying to correct itself, which is why if Jake ever "traveled" again, he'd probably return almost right after he left.