2

"That was so good!"

Natutuwang sabi ni Rebecca pagkatapos nilang kumain. She doesn't know why but the food that Kai prepared for her made her heart happy. Even if it's just her first time eating most of them, she loved them all. Lalong-lalo na ang okra at talong na sinasawsaw sa bagoong na isda. Even if it smells bad, it tastes good in a weird way.

"I'm glad you like it"

Kai smiled while putting the dishes away. Rebecca was just looking at her while she's fixing the table.

"You look so used to taking care of yourself"

Wala sa sarili niyang nasabi dito. She wanted to pinch herself for blurting it out. Though she doesn't mean it in a negative way. The girl really looks like she's very independent. Halata sa itsura nito na galing din ito sa may kayang pamilya pero hindi mo makikitang lumaki itong may katulong sa bahay.

"S-sorry, I didn't mean that in a negative way"

Hindi niya alam kung bakit siya nag-sorry at bakit siya defensive. What she just pointed out is a fact from an observation. She doesn't know what's wrong with her today. Simula nang magkausap sila ng babae kanina ay ibang-iba na siyang kumilos. Hindi niya magawang magmaldita dito ng matagal. It's like the girl is making her show her other side that most people cannot see.

Her vulnerable side. The soft one.

"It's fine. I actually take it as a compliment and yes, sanay na akong alagaan ang sarili ko. When our mother died when I was 14, ate Ali was studying here in Manila. I was left in the province with my father and grandparents. I felt like I needed to take care of myself so I can also take care of them, that's why"

Hindi niya alam pero kinain ng lungkot ang puso niya dahil sa sinabi ng babaeng kaharap. She loves her Mom so much that she cannot imagine losing her like that. Hindi niya kayang isipin yung sakit na naramdaman ni Kai nang mawala ang Mommy nito.

"14 is such a young age, I-I'm sorry that you needed to go through that pain"

Tumigil si Kai sa pagpupunas sa mesa matapos niyang alisin lahat ng nakalagay doon at tumingin sa kanya. The girl gave her a kind smile. A smile that does not show any pain nor sadness.

"Thank you. That pain of losing Mamang was actually the reason why I was able to bear anything that hurts me when I was living my life without her. Siguro yun na yung naging dahilan kung bakit nakakaya ko na lahat. And I will never be sorry for it, she was a pain that was worth it"

Rebecca's heart softened because of that. They went silent for a moment. Nanatili lang siyang nakayuko habang iniisip ang mga sinabi ni Kai. Saying that the pain of losing her Mom is worth it is something that's beautiful for Rebecca but still sad. She wanted to say something to make Kai feel better but she doesn't know what.

She doesn't also know why she wants the girl to feel better when they just met an hour ago.

"Anyways, it's almost 8 now. I know you have a tennis practice at 10 so you should get ready"

Napakunot ang noo niya. Hindi pa siya nagtatanong kung bakit alam nitong may tennis practice siya pero sumagot na ito.

Does she know how to read minds?

"Ate V told me about it when I called her last night"

She plays tennis for their school. She's been playing that sport since she was 10. Tennis has a very special place in her heart. It's something that keeps her mind clear when everything is dark and cloudy.

May kinuhang tupperware si Kai mula sa ref at lumapit sa kanya.

"Let's go? I'll walk you to ate V's unit"