VIII. UNCERTAINTY

"We're running out of time, Hunter," Cut said stressedly.

"Omega's on her way," Hunter assured.

"No, something's wrong. She should've been here by now."

"Stick to the plan, Cut."

The line seemed to shorten twice as fast as it did before. There were only four people in front of them, it was only a matter of seconds before they'll have to show their chain codes, which they didn't even have. Everyone grew nervous, especially Cut.

"I can't risk it," he said suddenly, and, gripping Suu's hand for dear life, he turned around to leave momentarily.

Before they had a chance to, though, Omega appeared among them.

"I'm here! And I have the chain codes," she whispered as she showed them the disks.

Aria let out a sigh of relief as a smile appeared on her face.

"Nice work, Meggie," she said softly.

Omega grinned up at her, visibly proud of herself.

"Tech accidentally made six disks instead of four," she added with a shrug and gave the chain codes to Cut.

Cut looked at Hunter confusingly before switching his questioning gaze to Aria.

"You didn't tell her?"

"Tell me what?" asked clueless Omega.

Cut went along the line with his family, leaving the news for Hunter and Aria to break. Hunter looked at Aria with uncertainty, but she gave him an encouraging nod. She thought that it'd be better if he tells Omega the truth, he was her brother after all, and he was the one that was to say goodbye.

Hunter placed a hand on Omega's shoulder when he crouched down in front of her.

"The extra chain codes are for you and Aria. So you can leave with Cut and Suu."

Omega's eyes widened as her mouth turned into a suprised pout.

"Why? Did─ did I do something wrong?"

"You need a family, kid," Hunter explained. "Cut and Suu are good people. They'll help you two to settle down. Aria's gonna give you the life you deserve."

Aria smiled sadly, watching Omega's eyes water the second time today. She knew it was the best option she could afford to keep Omega safe, to give her a childhood none of them ever had. But something broke inside of her seeing Omega stare at Hunter with the most heartbroken expression Aria have ever seen.

"But... I want to stay with you," Omega spoke with a wavering voice laced with unshed tears. Hunter's face turned into a soft frown as he once again wasn't prepared for the girl's confession. "I want Aria to stay, too."

"Quit holding up the line," a clone trooper ordered from behind.

Aria shook her head slightly, forcing a consoling smile on her lips.

"We have to go, Omega," she said gently, holding her hand out for her to take.

"It's for your own good," Hunter encouraged, although there was no longer the certainty with which he spoke a moment ago. It was sadder, almost regretful, as if a switch turned in his brain and suddenly he didn't want to let her go.

Omega hesitantly reached out to place her hand in Aria's palm, hanging her head down. Aria took the chain codes from her other hand.

"Thank you," she said quickly, but truthfully, looking up at Hunter who have already raised to his feet.