II. PROMISES

Thick raindrops hit the glass window that separated Dr. Suiris' office from the brewing storm outside. There was a reason behind Kamino being fully covered with the ocean, which is a gathering of clouds swimming over the sky. There have been brief interruptions in all the rain, mostly during the day, when Aria could actually welcome the rays of sun through the windows. But it was rare. Clouds usually lingered around, even when it didn't rain. But during the night? It was always pitch black and loud thunders rumbled repeatedly.

Lightning lit up the night for less than a second, but enough to see large waves washing over the lower levels of Tipoca City. Aria shuddered unintentionally when she imagined the coldness of wind that howled behind the glass.

"We wish you would agree to oversee the work of the new clone research on behalf of the Empire," admiral Tarkin exclaimed, bringing Aria down to her feet. She turned her head towards him with a feeling as if something heavy dropped from her chest. "I've heard from the prime minister that both of you were helpful in the process of cloning. While the need for cloning itself remains questionable with the rise of the Empire, I believe that I can put my trust in you, dr. Suiris and dr. Parris."

Of course, along with the Republic's fall, Aria was uncertain as to her future. She was attached to this place, one way or another. Mostly because of Omega. It pained her to think that she'd have to return to Coruscant and leave her here alone. Especially when she had no idea what the Empire's standing for or what their next plan is. Aria feared that it might not be safe for Omega anymore. She didn't want to become paranoid, but there was too many possibilities and most of them remained unknown.

"It will be my pleasure," Aria's father agreed in an instant. She looked at him out of the corner of her eye, wondering what was on his mind. He was always more involved in politics than he was in being a doctor, which was concerning to say the least.

"I will stay as well," Aria assured.

"I am happy to hear that. I assure you that your payment will remain following the importance of your work."

"That's understandable," Leonis Suiris agreed.

When a few other formalities were exchanged, admiral Tarkin left the office. Leonis approached his chair and sat on it, leaning his back against it as he made himself comfortable. Starkly, Aria remained in the same spot with her muscles tensed as she glanced at the floor. It felt wrong working with people that ordered the systematic termination of the Jedi. Especially when one of them was her close friend. Her throat clenched at the memory of Plo Koon and the realization that she'll never see him again. He's gone.

She tried to contact Wolffe earlier today, but to no avail. Either he was out of reach, or he didn't want to talk with her. Or... He could be dead for all she knows. And it pained her even more.

She really had no one but Omega now. The more she must protect her from anything bad that'd come her way.

"You should be content to be given a chance to continue your job here," Leonis said suddenly. Aria looked up, sparing him a glance.

"I am," she lied.

"You seem stressed."

His voice was monotonous, boring ─ he didn't care, he said only what he considered to be the right thing. The relationship they had has always been formal, as if the role of the father was given to him against his will, as if she wasn't a daughter but a task on his to-do list. Not to mention that he did nothing but hire nannies for her, until she was of age to handle herself on her own.