Chapter 8

Disclaimer: This story will have a happy SASUHINA ending!

Thanks for reading!

-Sasuke's POV-

I gently brushed Hinata's hair away from her face as she lay by my side, asleep. Yesterday, I convinced her to sneak away from Toneri to meet me. She wants to cut things off so badly; I can see it each time she's in my presence. It's because she pities me. I'll have to see her with another man.

The hardest part is not telling her about our plan to free her from the marriage contract. She doesn't know this issue isn't going to last.

My heartbeat quickened as my gaze danced down to her neck. She's tried to hide it with makeup for two days now, but I noticed the giant hickey yesterday during dance practice. It's the entire reason I asked her to talk to me afterward. I had to know for sure if Toneri had forced himself on her. I honestly would've murdered him if that was the case.

What actually happened isn't much better, honestly. Hinata lied very poorly. I know her mind and how she thinks so well. The only reason she'd willingly sleep with that man is if something worse would happen if she didn't. He almost definitely threatened her.

I want to be angry. My initial response is to get unbearably pissed off, but I can't because it's honestly not her fault. Toneri is the one I hate.

After just days apart, I can tell the difference in the soft-spoken woman regarding how she responds. She flinched when I first arrived at this hotel room and kissed her. Hinata fucking flinched as though I would hurt her. I almost backed off when things went further, and she could barely lay a finger on me without trembling, but she insisted on continuing.

Sure, Toneri received permission before touching her, but it was abundantly clear Hinata loathed the experience. As much as I want to be relieved she didn't allow another man to make her happy, I'd honestly rather her have enjoyed it. That'd be better than this. I'd take the knowledge that she gained experience outside of me over the chance that she'll be permanently affected by awful sex.

I forced myself to bring my eyes back to her face, distracting myself from the thought of Toneri seeing this invaluable view. She should return before anyone notices her absence, but I can't bring myself to wake her when I know she's exhausted. Just a little longer. I'll let her rest.

As I watched her sleeping face, I couldn't help but reflect on the long road that's led us here. We were colleagues first, then friends, then something a little more, before finally coming clean about our feelings. Ever since that day, I've noticed the change in her and myself as individuals and a couple.

When we first met, I didn't like her. I thought her appearance was otherworldly, but her spineless personality irritated me to no end. The first time I wondered if I was wrong about her was when I was introduced to Karin and her parents. Sakura had been acting weird, and I thought it was funny because I wasn't aware of the reason.

When she noticed, Hinata elbowed me. As annoyed as I was that she dared to try and correct my behavior, I was taken aback because it had to be important if it was enough to make her act. Then I realized it was because Sakura had been bullied by Karin. The entire night, the Hyuuga woman put herself between the other two, so her friend wouldn't be uncomfortable.

That much hasn't changed. Hinata's still ready and willing to throw herself on the knife if it means someone else won't have to. It's what she's doing now, putting herself in this awful situation.