Chapter 14

-Hinata's POV-

A week passed. While attending dance lessons, interviews, photoshoots, and the like, I gradually felt the weight of discomfort and fear leave my body. Tenten and Ino, ever the outgoing duo, asked if we could have a sleepover like the last one since things were calming down. Sakura initially yelled at them for pressuring me, but I actually agreed eagerly. Spending time drinking and having fun with my friends was something I'd missed, especially since I was under the impression I'd never be able to do so again.

So, come Friday night, after everyone's busy schedule was handled, we drove to Tenten's mansion. The Akatsuki guys, Konan's band, Naruto, Shikamaru, Temari, Kankuro, Neji, Sai, and Matsuri all showed up, in addition to, of course, Prestige, Tenten, and Ino.

The massive hall that'd served as the dancefloor at Tenten's housewarming party so long ago had morphed into the most comfortable-looking room I'd ever seen. Highend rollup futons were littered about the floor with more than enough fluffy pillows and blankets for everyone present to spend the night. A projector had been set up so the image would be large enough for all attendees to easily see. Then, naturally, a large table full of snacks and alcohol was by the wall.

"Stop right there. To gain entry, you must drink!" The four of us in Prestige froze when Tenten suddenly blocked our way with her arms in an "x" formation and a tall bottle of whiskey in one hand.

"That's dumb. Just move," Sasuke rolled his eyes.

The brunette girl held out the liquor bottle, "I don't make the rules. Take a drink or take your happy ass home, Uchiha."

I grabbed the bottle from her grasp and unscrewed the cap, shooting my boyfriend a teasing grin before tossing back a big mouthful of the bitter liquid. Wincing at the burn, I handed it off to Sakura, who looked about as excited as Sasuke.

Tenten hugged me, and I shyly accepted the embrace, "You do make the rules, though."

Our mentor ruffled my hair before pointing into the room with her thumb, where almost everyone else was mingling with drinks in their pajamas, "Keep it moving. You're holding up the line." A warm feeling met my chest at her mock-drill-sergeant tone.

To my surprise, Kankuro was the first to notice me approaching and held out his arms, "Hinata, hey! Bring it in, family!" Those were almost the exact words he spoke when we first met, and I couldn't stop the large grin that tugged at my lips as I hurried over to accept his hug. Temari and Shikamaru were standing nearby, obviously having been conversing with him.

Though the two of us haven't hung out often, he was there for Sakura and me when we went to that awful party where I saw Hidan commit a terrible act. Oddly enough, the event made me feel closer to him than before.

Thinking about that night, my spine straightened, and I pulled back to meet his eye, "Oh! Is Matsuri here yet?"

He cocked a brow, "Matsuri? Who's that?"

As if on some sort of cue, his chocolate-brown eyes lifted to the entrance before widening. I turned, pulling away from the embrace and stepping closer to Sasuke as he arrived at my side. The woman in question was approaching us with her gaze directed toward the ground as though nervous or uncomfortable.

When I glanced at Kankuro again, it was clear he recognized her. Back then, when he found us in that god-forsaken room, the girl only responded once he arrived. Maybe I'm wrong, but it seemed like she felt safe around him, and the Subaku man was obviously concerned for her well-being. My inner matchmaker came to life, and I waved Matsuri down so she'd come straight up to us.

When she was close enough, she nervously accepted my hug, "Hey. Long time no see. How are you?"

I released her, guiding us toward Kankuro with a smile, "I'm better, thanks. You remember Kankuro, right?"