Chapter 25- "I Killed Him"

The only thing heard through all of Mt. Chimney were my relentless screams. I crawl away from the edge of the platform, shrieking uncontrollably. I killed him! I killed him! I killed him! I killed him! I killed him! I killed him! I killed him! I killed him! I killed him! He's dead because of me!

I took the life of someone who didn't deserve it to be taken from them. I took the life of someone who was greeted with death all too soon. I took the life of someone who was in love.

"HE'S DEAD! I KILLED HIM! I KILLED HIM! SOMEBODY HELP! I KILLED HIM!" My tears stream down my cheeks and into my shrieking lips. My heart's racing a mile a minute. My head is swirling out of control. I can't take it!

The one fear I have is looming over my head...is clouding my mind. I killed him. The one fear I have...the pain of others...the one fear I have. I killed him. I killed the one person Jezebel loved. I must have caused her so much grief...so much pain.

I clutch my skull...the agony...

I can only imagine the thoughts going through Jezebel's head. Her depression...her torture. I can only imagine her watching her love falling to his doom. I can only imagine her reaching her hand...her hand...the only thing that could save him...reaching her hand out to a hopeless cause.

I curl up into a ball, my hands still clutching my skull. I begin rocking back and forth. "I killed him," I whisper over and over. "I killed him. I killed him. I killed him. I killed him. I killed him."

I suddenly feel a nudge at my leg. I slowly look up. Litwick was there, slightly nudging at my leg. Her face was overwhelmed with sadness too. "Lit...Litwick." Her voice was weak and frail...she must know what she has done. She nudges at my leg again and again. "It's okay, Litwick...you...you didn't mean to. It...it was my fault." Tears begin streaming further down my face.

I hide myself in my arms again and start repeating the words. "I killed him. I killed him. I killed him. I killed him. I killed him."

A soft touch comes to my shoulder. I glance up and see the pink-haired Elite Four Member. Isabella kneels down to my level. Her blue eyes stare into mine. "Dream..." Her voice was frightened but reassuring. "It's going to be okay." And all at once...for one single moment...all the fear, anxiety, darkened thoughts...disappear when she says those five words.

Her eyes are filled with sadness and worry, but her small smile is enough to wash away all sadness and anger and fright.

She leans in and gives me a hug. I begin to tear up again. "I killed him. I killed him. I killed him. I killed him. I killed him. I killed him, Isabella. I killed him!"

"No you didn't," Isabella says. "You didn't mean to kill him. It wasn't your fault. It wasn't anyone's fault. You didn't mean to."

I can only think of Jezebel...the pain she's going through right now.

Isabella doesn't let go for a good solid five minutes. Her touch is so soothing, so calming. My tears begin to drain out and we just sit there, holding each other.

I open my eyes and see Brooke standing there. She smiles faintly. "Don't worry, Dream! They're nothing but terrorist scum! He should have died anyway!"

I stare at Brooke. These words were not reassuring. These words were...angering. Frustrating even. I clench my teeth. I wanted to scream at her. I wanted to lash out at her for saying this. But I hold back. I know her heart was in the right place...but the wrong mindset.

I clutch at Isabella. I hide my head in her shoulder and begin sobbing again.

What seems like hours pass and I finally stop sobbing. I let go of the quiet Isabella. I lean back and look into her eyes. She smiles. I nod and look down at my leg. Litwick was still there, softly nudging. The blue flame on her head was low and dim. Litwick peers up to me and grins. "Lit!" I chuckle lightly.

"Thanks, Litwick." I pick out her Pokeball and return her inside.

Brooke steps over and kneels. "Look, Dream, I know this is tough but do you have any idea where those blasted Magma Members were heading? And who was that man with the red hair that was with them?"

I take a deep breath before speaking. "Well, uhm, the man was their boss...the leader of Team Magma, I would think. His name was something like...Matt? Michael? ...Maxie! His name was Maxie!"

"Maxie, huh?" Isabella questions.

"Yeah...that's what...that's what Jezebel called him. And I think they're heading to Mt. Pyre."

"Mt. Pyre?" Brooke inquires. "What would they be doing there?"

"I don't know. Maxie went up to the machine over there and was distraught that the Red Orb wasn't there. But then he found a notecard and..."

"And what?"

I suddenly remember the notecard. Maxie gave it to me! I look in my hand and there sits a crumpled up notecard. I work desperately to unravel and read its contents.

DUE TO DANGEROUS LEVELS OF THE LAVA BELOW, THE RED ORB HAS BEEN MOVED TO MT. PYRE FOR SAFE KEEPING.

"They're looking for the Red Orb at Mt. Pyre." I hand the notecard to Isabella and she reads it. Then she hands it off to Brooke. "But they said they were going to make a stop somewhere...but I can't remember where. But...but we gotta go after them!" I stand to my feet. "Who knows what they're going to do!"

Brooke stands to her feet. "No, no. It's best we leave this one out. When we get back to Lavaridge town, I'll call the police and they'll handle it."

She's probably right...I couldn't stand to see Jezebel again...not after what I did. It's best I just stay out of this for now.

I turn to Brooke. I take a deep breath and say, "Brooke, I want to challenge you to a Pokemon Battle."

"For...for a badge?" Brooke asks. Her face is confused and bewildered.

"Yes."

"Even after..." she waves her finger down into the lava.

I follow her finger down to the hot lava. I take a deep breath and swallow. I turn back to the Rock-type Gym Leader. "Yes, Brooke. I want to battle you. I challenge you. Do you accept."

The Gym Leader grins. "I accept!"

====

Hey, guys!

How'd you like this short...very short chapter?

And you may be wondering how Dream could just jump and ask for a battle after all she's been through. Well, I'll answer those questions eventually because it's going to be a major part in the story...hehe...

Tell me what you thought of the chapter down below. Was it good? Was it bad? Was it decent?

Don't forget to Vote, Comment, and Share!

Thanks for reading, bye!