A Performance Was Demanded of Me, Now I Have Delivered!

James parked at the side of a long road. They were already in Scotland. It was beautiful with rolling valleys and high up mountains with peaks of snow. Sky was a steel gray color though it seemed. Serene. That's what it appeared to be but Ezra could tell a storm was brewing. Much like how there was one building inside James' chest. The man stood on the road, eyes taking in the landscape. It's been a while since he's been home. Decades. He was pushed to because of the fate of the world. It wasn't the best time for him to take Ezra home for the first time. Quite the opposite.

Ezra leaned against the side of the car, carefully observing Jame while M woke up to join him outside the car. James was tense. As expected for knowing what was to come but there was also the part of going back to his childhood home. Where his parents died.

"This is where you grew up." M stated. It wasn't a question. She knew but James gave her a nod anyway. "How old were you when they died?"

Bond's jaw clenched, only slightly. "You know the answer to that. You know the whole story. Orphans always make the best recruits." He hummed. He wasn't mad, not really. It was just how MI6 worked. He didn't have any attachments. No one to worry when he'd leave for weeks or even months. Until now. Glancing up at the sky yet again, James pursed his lips. "Storm's coming."

Any emotion he did have was suddenly gone.

—----

As they approached James' old home, Ezra surveyed their surroundings. The house was in a huge clearing of the forest behind them. They passed a gate, huge and imposing with a statue of a deer on top of it. Decaying with half of it crumbled to pieces. On the only standing pillar, there was a word carved on it: SKYFALL. Ezra glanced from the sign then to James. He could feel the tension rolling off him, waves crashing into each other only to make an even bigger one.

Ezra set his hand on Bond's thigh. Almost immediately, the tension was washed away. Belittled into nothing but a small wave rolling onto a sandy shore.

As the car stopped, the trio climbed out. The house looked lonely and deserted, everything looked horrible. More dead than alive. Not how it used to be. Though, Ezra wasn't sure if it's been alive for more than it's been dead.

"Christ." M said as she looked up at the house ahead of them. "No wonder you never came back." M being M meant she always said what was on her mind. Sometimes it would be a blessing if she never said anything at all.

They headed for the front door. James opened the door slowly, taking in the sight of his old home. For him, it was like entering a haunted mansion. It was dark inside with barely any light coming through the windows. James entered first, Ezra and M following. Their footsteps echoed on the creaky floorboards as they advanced further inside the house.

But then there was a sound. More floorboards creaked but it wasn't either of them.

James didn't seem scared so Ezra didn't pull out his gun as they turned. From the shadows, emerged a man. An old man. With a shotgun. He was about M's age with a stark white beard and piercing blue eyes. He was handsome for his age. The man–Kincade–seemed to recognize James, his eyes were on him as he entered the main hall.

"James... James Bond." Kincade blinked. It's been years since he's seen James. It showed in the wrinkles of his eyes. It was certainly before his time at MI6. Kincade didn't know anything about James' job or why he had two strays behind him.

Bond's eyebrows furrowed slightly as he takes in the sight of his old friend. "Good God. Are you still alive?" That earned him a smack from Ezra, even if he didn't know Kincade yet. "We were all thinking it." He shrugged.

Kincade looked at the pair, a knowing look in his eyes before he lowered his shotgun. "Heh!... It's alright. It's nice to see you too." He slowly smiled, thankful he could see James. Even if it was for the last time. He shook Bond's hand eagerly.