2

Title: Over and Under

Posted on: livejournal

Author: sengen35

7/10 | slight angst but overall it's a cute fic and it calms my mind.

It's two in the morning when Kyungsoo puts down his stethoscope, shrugs off his white coat and allows himself to sigh.

The door opens, shutting close immediately after with a soft click.

"You're not going home?" Baekhyun steps inside, the look on his face much similar to Kyungsoo's.

"Jongin's still working." he responds softly, avoiding Baekhyun's eyes as he opens one of his desk drawers and grabs a small stuffed toy. It was a gift from Jongin during their first anniversary when time was still patient and kind to them.

"And probably will be for the next five hours." Baekhyun continues, sitting down on the plush visitor's chair. "You could take the time to go home and rest."

Kyungsoo still doesn't look at Baekhyun as he puts the stuffed toy on his desk, leaning down and letting it cradle his head. He doesn't need to look at his best friend to guess the expression on his face.

"I want to wait for him."

He feels rather than hears Baekhyun leave, the sound the door makes muffled by the exhaustion slowly drowning him in sleep. He vaguely feels his phone vibrate, lithe fingers closing in on the device. That's as much as he could do before he slumps into a much awaited nap.

"Don't you ever think of quitting?" Jongdae asks him the next morning, eyes fixed at the clipboard on his hand.

"Why would I?" is Kyungsoo's automatic reply, running a hand through his hair and messing it up. A habit.

"So you won't be this tired?" Jongdae suggests, looking up and throwing Kyungsoo a look. "So you'll get to spend more time with Jongin?"

Kyungsoo's jaw clenches, not out of irritation or annoyance but of repression. "Jongin would be working his ass off either way."

Jongdae shrugs, tapping his pen on the clipboard twice. "Well at least you'll see him once in a while; welcome him home or something."

Kyungsoo mulls over Jongdae's words even when the anesthesiologist has already left.

Kyungsoo watches as Jongin sits up, eyes close as he struggles to hold his phone and fight off the sleep wrapping its tendrils around him.