To the Moon but Not Back

You sit down in class, bored as usual. Even if the professor is still doing his job well but still then the way he is talking is way too fast for you. Good thing he still uploads his PowerPoint for his class but regardless you feel like you want to sleep. But you can't sleep. Your best friend since childhood is sitting beside you and is making sure that you are awake for the class.

Minju, your best friend, has been your friend for as long as you can remember. She lived right next door to your house and you visit each other every day. Your parents were skeptical about your being a friend of the opposite gender but when they see your tight bond together it is hard for you to separate from each other.

On the first-ever day of class, you and Minju sat beside each other as what would friends do. You spent all your time together. You grew up together. Went to the same schools from elementary to college. You and she promised that you'll be in the same career and that you'll never leave each other for whatever reason.

You two were so close people wondered why you aren't dating each other. When people see the closeness and the skinship always ask if you two are a couple. But Minju responds that you have been best friends since birth and she isn't wrong. But that's not what you feel. For somehow and sometime you grew your feelings for her. You didn't know when it started you are already in love with her. But you haven't told her and you don't know if you ever will. Would you want to risk your best friend for it?

"Junseo." Minju tugs your shoulder. "Class is over."

You wake up from your endless thought of marrying your best friend and see everyone packing their belongings and heading out for lunch.

"Junseo, what do you want to eat?"

"Tteokbokki?"

"Great idea!" Minju comes over with a big hug. "Let's go!"

You and Minju walk side by side to the restaurant that has the best tteokbokki around. It's world-famous for it. Everyone on campus would walk the fifteen minutes just to get there to eat their food.

"Junseo, have you done the homework?"

"Minju... are you going to copy it again?"

"No!... yes..."

"Ugh Fine! But next time you really have to do it yourself next time."

"Okay okay okay!" Minju stops you and raises her right hand and puts her left on her chest. "I will promise you that I'll do my homework."

"Good...and?"

"And I'll let you copy it!"

You burst into laughter. "That won't be necessary. I'm a good student and you know it. You just need to learn how to do homework."

She turns you around and pushes you to the restaurant. "I know. Come one let's eat. I'm starving."

You both sit down at the restaurant and order a serving of the sweet and spicy tteokbokki. As soon as the food arrives. "jalmeokketssumnida." You both say with your hands closed, ready to eat.

But before Minju can dig in, she receives a phone call.

"Mom?.....Uh uh?.....Chaewon?.....Is she.....? Do I need to....."

Ah-, Chaewon. Minju's twin sister. Not identical but fraternal. You were close with her. But Minju was more outgoing and more expressive but Chaewon is different. She has been quiet and reserved. Not really talking and mostly kept to herself. You would have been close to her if she was in your classes. But since Minju was with you. She was the one you became friends with. But it isn't like you ignored her. You tried to be friendly with her.