Fifteen

Carlos

Everyone in the table went completely still. His mother turned to him, her face pulled in horror.

"Is this true?" his father asked Morgan.

"I did what had to be done,"

"Killing a wanted criminal that was expected to be brought in for negotiations wasn't what was needed to be done," Luis spat, "Because of your actions both governments faced massive losses,".

"Massive losses when it came to your pocket money, the extra dinero you were hoping to secure from these 'negotiations',"

"You're both a murderer and a liar. Not only did you sabotage our entire operation, you ran away from its consequences," Luis was fuming, he looked ready to reach out and strangle her but Morgan didn't budge.

"I did the right thing,".

"You weren't given the order!"

It was like something snapped in her. Seconds ago she was standing beside Carlos, the next she was right up in Luis's face- squaring up to him. "Do you not remember what he did?" she hissed, "He murdered thousand innocents, children who had nothing to do with it! That man deserved a bullet to his head not mere extradition to the US," her tone was hard. Her gaze never faltering. Everyone at the table waited with a held breath as they watched what was unfolding.

Luis shot her a cruel smile, "You and I both know that wasn't the reason why you killed him. You killed him because of Agent Evans."

"And wasn't that reason enough? He targeted one of our own, he was an agent-,"

"And your boyfriend,"

She went still. Luis was still smiling at her cruelly, "You only killed him because he murdered your boyfriend,"

"I-,"

"Aha!" He said interrupting her, "I wasn't finished. You killed our most wanted criminal because he murdered your boyfriend and tortured you. You wanted revenge."

Carlos heard someone from the table gasp. He didn't know who it was. All he could do was stare at Morgan, her eyes had gone glassy but she was still glaring at him. She'd killed a criminal, what was so wrong about that? And now from what Luis had revealed it was because he had murdered her boyfriend.

His mind flitted to the scars on her torso. She had been tortured. Whoever she'd killed had deserved that fate, he couldn't see what was so wrong with that.

"You cannot be allowed to roam around freely. I'm calling up the office right away," Luis said as he pulled out his phone.

"Do that and you're going to regret it."

"Is that a threat?"

"How do you think I survived all these years Officer Estrada?" she asked, "You don't want to mess with the people I work with. Better yet, you don't want to mess with me."

Luis turned to look at Carlos and the rest of his family, "Who you have right now is a wanted criminal. An agent that went AWOL after sabotaging years of planning and negotiations," he said in Spanish, "Do you want someone like that in your home?"

"You don't get to decide that for them," she shot back in fluent Spanish. If his eyes could widen further Carlos suspected they'd be the size of pool balls. There was so much about her that he didn't know and he felt stupid for not knowing.

"Papa," he said turning to his father who looked torn between what to do, "Sit Luis down and explain everything, and," he said turning to the rest of his family who still looked as shocked as they were before, "Explain it to them as well,". He made his way towards Morgan who looked ready to stab the man in the eye with a fork. He grabbed her arm and pulled her away from him. "What d'you think you're doing Carlos?" she asked as he led her back into the house.