Chapter 1

Mafuyu sat at a desk and waited patiently for her mother to come back. She had a pen and paper in hand, her only past time aside from reading books. Sheets of paper scattered the desk and stacked underneath. Lyrics with no song to call home. If only she could bring them to life with music. Mafuyu sighed. Would she ever be able to leave this tower?

Everyday was the same thing. Over. And over. And over. Studying. Reading. Writing. Could life feel more pointless than this?

Suddenly an idea sparked in her mind. Maybe she could finally ask her mother to let her go to the outside world. If she could just tell her how excited she was to explore the world of music that awaited her, surely she would let her go! Her birthday was quickly approaching, so it was the perfect opportunity!

Mafuyu hummed a tune and continued to write more. She stopped midway through, however, as she heard a familiar call from outside. 

"Mafuyu darling! I'm back!" 

Mafuyu rushed to the window and threw open the shutters. "Hello Mother!! How did everything go?" She asked politely as she tossed a rope down and started to pull her up.

"It went just fine, I got the right ingredients to make your favorite dish!" Her mother responds. 

"My favorite..? Great..!! Thanks mother!" Mafuyu replied. What was her favorite meal? They all tasted the same. But didn't all food taste like that? Bland and boring.. just like life.

Soon, she arrived at the top and climbed in through the window. She clapped her hands together. "Also, Mafuyu! Have you thought about what you want for a present for your birthday? It's the big one this year!"

A smile spread across Mafuyu's face and she opened her mouth to speak but then paused. Would her mother even listen to her? Ever since she was little she was determined to keep her inside the tower, claiming the outside world was too dangerous.

But she'd never know if she didn't try...

"Um yes! About that.." Mafuyu hesitated again, but after a couple of seconds, continued. "You see.. since I'm turning 18, I.. I think, well.. don't freak out! But.. I want to go see the outside world and..."

Her mother's hands stop working on the now unpacked ingredients and looked at Mafuyu in horror. "Go outside the tower?? Oh Mafuyu," she broke off in laughter. "Good joke. You almost had me for a second! Now what is it that you really want?"

Mafuyu looked down at the floor and reconsidered her idea. If it was that ridiculous....

But it's what she really did want.

"Er.. well the thing is.. I'm not joking.." She kept her eyes on the floor for a moment before looking up to meet her mother's sharp gaze bearing down on her.

"Mafuyu, you know how dangerous it is out there." Her mother replied, disapproval coating her voice. "It's far safer for you to stay here in this tower, no?"

"Yes and.. and I understand the risks that come with what I'm asking for, but... I just want a chance!" Mafuyu pleaded, "Just this once, if it proves to be too much trouble after the first time I'll work something different out!"