Chapter 2

Mafuyu hurried up the flight of stairs to her room, the wood creaking beneath her feet. As she reached the top and pushed open the door, a sudden wave of exhaustion hit her. Her plan had failed. It didn't just fail, it made everything worse. 

She looked around her room. It was a small, cozy space filled with books. This was her home. But she couldn't help but feel it was like a prison cell, with no doors or windows to the outside world. 

She glanced over at the pile of papers lined up by a wooden desk, the ones she had written lyrics on. What was the point anymore? She enjoyed learning about medicine so it didn't matter that much.

Right?

Did she enjoy learning what she could about herbs? Remedies for different injuries or sickness? Did any of that really interest her at all? 

Each time she pushed away the thought, it came back with more force. She couldn't stand it. So many thoughts stormed through her mind. Was she confused? Angry? Sad? She collapsed onto the floor of her room, finally letting the tears take over.

Mafuyu had no idea how long she had been laying there, curled up on the floor. Her sobbing had long since dried up and she was left blankly staring at the wall. She wished she could erase the memory of her mother's angry words and disappointed gaze. The only thing that snapped her out of her dazed state was the creak of the stairs, alerting her that her mother was coming. She quickly sat up and brushed through her hair with her fingers in an attempt to look more presentable than the girl who had been lying on the floor moments before.

"Mafuyu?" Her mother called, a surprised look dawning on her face as she looked at her. "I've been calling you down for dinner and you never responded, are you alright? What are you doing on the floor over there?" Despite her silky voice, it was tight with annoyance.

"Oh I'm sorry I didn't hear, I was... taking a nap real quick! I... started reading this medical book so um.. that's why I'm on the floor! See!" Mafuyu held up a nearby book and tried to give her most convincing smile.

Still a bit skeptical, her mother responded, "Ok, but I see you haven't cleaned up like I asked you to." She pointed out.

"Ah well, I figured it wouldn't be good to use up all my energy on an empty stomach!" Mafuyu quickly grasped for an excuse. A flimsy one, but it worked.

Her mother chuckled, "Alright dear, well the food is ready when you are. Let's go downstairs now."

"Ok, thank you Mother." Mafuyu replied as she trailed behind her down the stairs, putting a smile on her lips. She didn't want to worry her. Everything would be fine. Tomorrow would be better.