Chapter 3

The next morning, Mafuyu didn't feel any better. 

Actually, she felt worse.

"Mother please.. you know I do my best when it comes to studying so.. why can't I have these music books??" She felt a shiver run down her spine as she met her mother's gaze. She didn't like arguing with her, she really didn't. They usually never did. But this time, Mafuyu broke before she could collect herself once her mother announced she'd be taking all of her music books to sell at the village.

"Mafuyu, we've gone over this too many times." She sighed. "I thought you said music wasn't turning you into a disrespectful, rebellious child? If it wasn't, then this wouldn't be such an issue."

Mafuyu gritted her teeth. "I-it's not!! I just.. I think.. I enjoy it!" There, she finally said it. She enjoyed music. She frantically searched her mothers face for a reaction.

Her face twisted in disgust. "Music is nothing more than a toy for two year olds, Mafuyu. You're turning into an adult, you need no association with it. Besides, you don't even have the talent for it."

Mafuyu stumbled back. She was definitely not expecting her mother to comment on her skills related to music. "I.. that's why I was asking to leave the tower yesterday, so that I can learn more..." Hurt glimmered in her eyes.

Her mother gazed at her sympathetically. "Yes sweetie, I know. But you can't be good at everything, it's ok." She reached over for a hug, but Mafuyu ducked out of her way. She frowned, "You are however talented in the medical field. That's why I've given you so many books to study up on. You wouldn't want to disappoint me, your only family?"

Mafuyu shuddered and slowly shook her head since no words seemed to form on her lips.

"That's what I thought. You're such a sweet and perfect girl Mafuyu. You've never disappointed me before, so why would you now?" She reached over to hug her daughter again and this time Mafuyu didn't pull away. She felt too numb.

Mafuyu watched silently as her mother gathered up the last of her books in a basket. They were colorful and worn-out books that she had read over the years. Some of them had pictures of musical instruments and notes, some of them had lyrics and poems, some of them had stories and legends about music. They were her treasures, one of the only books that actually made her feel something inside of her. She felt a sharp pang in her chest as she saw them being taken away. 

"Now be a good girl and study, ok? I believe you can do it Mafuyu. I'll be back soon. And remember, don't talk to anyone if you hear them outside the tower, got it?"

Mafuyu stared at her for a second before forcing a smile. "Yes Mother."

Her mother gave one last farewell before heading down the stairs to the first floor, which had a secret doorway to the outside that Mafuyu just couldn't find no matter how many times she looked.

Her smile faltered as soon as her mother was gone. It was replaced with a blank face, devoid of all emotion. "I better study.."