𝑭𝒐𝒖𝒓

𝒁𝒂𝒍𝒊𝒂

I take a deep breath and brace myself before opening the door to the gardens, there was no one around who could see me so I made my way to the castle.

"Princess! You're back." One of the butlers says but I gently grab his arm before he can go anywhere.

"Shh, yes I am but I need you to do something for me Frederick. I need you to stay here, I want to face my parents myself. I have very important news to tell them and I need to do it alone. So stay here."

Frederick was the only butler in the whole palace I trusted. He was more than a butler he was a friend.

"Princess the King and Queen told everyone if they saw you to escort you inside immediately."

"And I'm telling you, as my friend to please stay put. I will escort myself."

"Yes your highness. Welcome back." He gives a bow and I thank him.

I take another bracing breath as I opened the doors to the main part of the castle where we have gatherings and small events. At the end of the long hallway like room were my mother and father. My mother came running to me, embracing me in a tight hug.

"Zalia! Zalia oh my goodness where on earth have you been? We've been worried sick."

"I know I'm sorry. I will tell you both everything but I need both of your full attention. Can we go to the dining hall please?"

My nerves were at an all time high as we took our seats and my parents eagerly awaited an explanation.

"So as I'm sure you're both aware, I was set to marry the Duke of the Southern Kingdom a few days past, but I fled."

"Yes Zalia we do not need a reminder of what happened." My father says and my mother scolds him.

"Joseph."

"I'm sorry, but I cannot marry the Duke."

"Why not?" My mother asks, actually seeming worried and concerned.

"Because I don't love him. And I know why you want me to marry him father and I understand but I am sorry I cannot marry this man in good conscience."

"Zalia it is your duty." He says.

"I know it's my duty but shouldn't my happiness also be my duty?"

"Responsibility comes first."

"But father--"

"Zalia! You are a princess! I expect you to act like one!" He yells, slamming his hand on the table.

"Joseph! Let's hear her out before we start yelling at her if you'd please. She is our daughter before she is a princess."

"Thank you mother." I clear my throat before I speak again.

"So, the day I fled, I met someone. And it was a lovely encounter, one of the loveliest encounters I've ever had with anyone. And I believe we fell in love, albeit we've only known each other a couple of days and we only had two conversations b-but I have never felt more admiration towards this person than I have towards any of my suitors."

"So what? Do you want to marry this man?" My mother asks

"I sort of already have, not legally of course, but there was a proposal and..."

"What is it dear?"

"Well..." I took a long pause, preparing myself for their wrath. "It's not a man. It is a woman." I say with my eyes shut.

I keep them closed for a bit and await the sound of screaming only I wasn't met with any. Not immediately any how.

"What?"