In the begining

• Dedicated to To Maddy, Billy, and everyone else I left behind

Chapter 1

I sat in the limousine with my best friends Maddy and Jones. It was a pretty cool thing. My parents managed to book us a stretch limo for the way too my birthday party. It was 6 metres long, jet black, and had coke dispensers on the door. It was so far the best day of my life. Jones had just told a joke, and Maddy laughed, and then put her hand on my shoulder.

'Row, are you ok?' She said in her sweet, calming voice. 'You seem bothered by something'

I turned my head from the window

'Hu? What? Uh.. No nothing' I replied. But of course, I was. Everything all ways went wrong Candles, sparklers, jets, lighters, anything. Once we were at a New Year's Eve party, and there was a live musician. They had one of those jets that shoots fire, and it really freaked me out. I started crying, and fell of my dads shoulders straight into the fire. However the fire just went straight off me, like a magnet rejecting another magnet, and shot straight at the musician. He was in hospital for a week. He sued my parents, but we one the court case. They said that some one had pushed me off and i hit the jet, pivoting it towards the musician. When I was turning nine at school, my cake had a sparkler on it. I had blown it out at the last minute, and the cake exploded like a lead ball from a cannon, covering everyone. Including the teacher. She sent me up to the principal for playing a 'mean joke' but I hadn't meant for it to happen. That's why I was worried. I was scarred I would ruin my thirteenth birthday. I thought that this time time I might really hurt someone...

'Mate don't worry' Said Jones. 'Itt'l be fine," to let him know he made a mistake. We sat in silence for the rest of the car ride. Finally, the driver says,  

'We are here' In that French accent that annoys me so much. He opens the door and we all step out. Jones and Maddy stand on either side of me, and hold my hands.  

'Here goes nothing' I said, and we walked into the venue.

As we walk in, a chorus of 'happy birthday' and cheers welcome us. I look around too find my parents, but my little sister Natalie finds me first, and tackles me too the ground.  

'You're a big teenager now and I'm still stronger than you! You'll never get a girlfriend. Sheesh!' I laugh and smile at Maddy, who laughs at me, then disappears into the crowd. I frown, confused, and then I see Maddy and Natalie running at me from one side and Jones on the other. They launch themselves on me, and we tickle each other to death; I could do nothing but join in on the fun. We laugh and tackle each other for what seems a lifetime until I hear a gruff voice behind me.

'Hey fantail. Happy birthday. I look up, horrified. It's Neil Corten, the bully who tries so hard to make my life a misery.  

'Whats going on Row?' Asked Natalie  

'Nothing Nat' I whisper to her. 'Go grab some chocolate, okay?'  

'Okay' Natalie skips away too the snack table, and I go back to confronting Neil.  

'How did you get in here? I don't remember inviting you,'  

'You invited everyone in the grade remember? So I thought I might come along' The bully smiles cruelly, and his mindless minions chuckle stupidly at his cunning.  

'You stupid knucklehead!' Yelled Maddy  

'Get away from him!' Jones also rushed too my defence  .  

Then two things happened at once. My mum lit the candle on my cake, which was a massive serpent, and Neil punched me across the face. Jones ran at him, but one of his minions swipes him out of the air. I stood up, and feel my body grow very hot. I looked at Neil and his minions, and back at Jones. What they had done was unforgivable. They would pay the price. I ran straight at Neil, And felt the hot engulf my body. I felt my! fist connect with his face, and it went black after that. All I remember where the sound of screams.  

And breaking glass.  

And fire.