Merandüna, hey?

Chapter 2

I was awakened by the sound of falling timber. I heard my mother screaming,

'No!' Rowan's in there'

'M'am if your son's in there he'll be dead by now!' Then I open my eyes. Fire is everywhere. I look at my hands: soaked in blood. I look around and see Neil. Burning. I watch the ashes fly off in the smoke. I start to cry. I try to stand, but my hands are stuck under a wooden. Then a warm hand touches my shoulder, and a voice speaks.

'Kid, don't worry. It's all gonna be ok.' He picks me up, and I fall asleep.

I wake up on a bed. Everything around me is white. A man stands above me.

'He's awake' a voice says. I realise I'm in a hospital. I go to stand up, but the doctor stops me.

'You'll want to listen to what we have to say first' He presses a hand to my chest, pushing me down. I stay in the bed, but I don't care about what he has to say.

'Where are they? Maddy, Jones Natalie? My parents? Are they okay?'

'I'm here mate' I look to my left. Jones is there, his arm in a cast.

'I'm here, Row,' Maddy says calmingly. I hadn't noticed her at my bedside.

'Dude it was scary! They say someone set off a bomb, but it wasn't! It was you! I look at him, confused. 'There was a great big sphere of fire surrounding you!' And when you hit Neil, It exploded! You where like, a meteor! I had to help flip tables to stop the blaze spreading, ' 

'Where is Neil, That bastard!' Says Maddy.

'He's dead,' I say without thinking

'Dead?' Exclaims Jones. 'Who do you know?

'I saw him. I watched him burn. But... how did i survive?' I say slowly

'That's what everyone's wondering. How you did,' it's the same voice that saved me!

'You saved me!' I cry in surprise. I can't see his face, because he is wearing a large grey mask. My jaw drops. The dragon lord! He has power over fire, and communicates with dragons. "You are a Beastborn, Rowan. This is a term I don't understand.

'A what?' Says Jones.

'A Beastborn. Someone who is born at the exact same time as a beast. In your case: a dragon. You have power over fire.  was the first dragon Beastborn,' explains the Dragon Lord. I pull my hands out from underneath the covers, but then I remember the beam. My hands are metal. Chrome coloured metal.

'How long was I out?' It's the only thing I can think of saying.

 'two weeks" Maddy starts too cry, and grabs me in a bear hug. Jones gets out of bed, and puts his arm on my shoulder.

'Now you can be like Anikan Skywalker, and when you need too fight someone be like, don't underestimate my power,' and be all boss. For the first that day, I laughed. It was bliss. I can't describe happiness, but it was bliss. Pure bliss. I get out of bed. The door flies open and my parents bombard me with embraces.

'Are you okay?' My mother asks. I show her my hands. She cries. My dad cries. I cry.

'Does it hurt? My mum asks.

I shake my head.

'That's my man' My dad smiles, 'C'mon, let's go,' and we walk out the door.

We get back in the car, and drive off. We sit in scilence, until we drive past out highway exit.

'Mrs Fandoler, where are we going?' Asks Maddy.

'I dunno' my dad replies. 'Just following him,' dad motions out the window. I look up, and realise in shock, the dragon lord is flying his dragon, and we are following him! Jones and I look at each other in awe. Then the dragon takes a sharp turn left, and we take the exit off the highway.

Soon after that we're in a rural farming area. Except, instead of cattle, surrounding us where large reptilian beasts. We stare out in awe as a large jet of fire sprints out from an arching dragons mouth. There's more gasps of awe as a large blue-green dragon flaps it's wings and takes off into the darkening sky. One of these dragons would be mine. One of these magnificent, powerful, dominating dragons would be my brother. There's a loud thud, and and we get out of the car. The dragon lord dismounts, and welcomes us. He brings us inside an old shed and motions to an enclosure about the size of two busses. Inside there's about 13 dragons, some miniature, others massive. I feel myself somewhat drawn towards it. I take a step. Then another. Until I'm standing at the fence. There's a sign attached that says:

Beastborns:

1900-2013

'He's there' I mutter to myself. My fathers hand touches my shoulder. 'He is Rowan. You go get him.' I open the gate, and in half a second, the floor greets me with open arms. On top of me is a dragon the size of a small car. I look into his eyes. They're dark green, like mine. His back is covered in beautiful red, green, and blue. This was my dragon.

'Merandüna, hey?' The Dragon lord smiles. 'A cheeky little bugger, but he's immensely powerful. A descendant of Magnuslacerta. I rack my brains. Magnuslacerta. was the mount of the first ever dragon lord in the battle of something-whatever. I look at Merandüna with awe.  

'Are you gonna ride him?' The dragon lord looks at me. All I can do is smile