The Retail Ache

Three soft knocks startled you from your peaceful sleep, and you shot up from the floor. You rubbed your eyes and stared at the door behind you, 'Did I fall asleep? Why'd I do it on the ground?' you wondered as you approached the door and creaked it open to peek through.

"Neighbor? You alright?" Wally's face peered through the crack in the door, his usually bright smile replaced by concerned eyes as you covered yourself with the entrance to block his view. You slowly opened the door further and he adjusted his position slightly, "Ready?" he asked as he gestured for you to join him.

You nodded, thinking slightly about showering before you'd go out, but decided you could go as you were. You stepped through the door and closed it behind you, "Where are we going?" you asked as you followed him to the front entrance of Home, "Howdy's, silly." He replied, giving a small chuckle as you followed him out. 'OHHH RIGHT! The promise to watch the shop, right.' You thought to yourself, feeling sorry for Howdy's situation as you continued to follow Wally to the Bodega.

It was already unlocked when you got to the door, 'Guess this neighborhood's pretty trusting with their doors being unlocked. weird.' you thought to yourself as you walked in, the bell ringing noticeably as you did. You looked around, everything looked to be the same as it was yesterday.

Wally trotted in, took a few steps, and then stopped and looked back at you, "The sign." he said bluntly as he pointed to the sign hanging sign from the door that was too high for him to reach. "Ahh, right, we gotta let people know we're open for business!" You laughed as you went to grab the sign, flipping it over to the 'Open' side.

Wally smiled at you, very proud you were listening to him, and looked over to the counter, pointing at it with a grin and proceeding to walk over to it. You follow him and the counter seems to be well-adjusted to Howdy's height, which means...

You look over at Wally struggling to reach the counter, but he is slowly making his way there. You step up to help him, propping him up on the counter like a little doll as you look down at the paper Howdy had written out.

'Once again, I can't thank you enough, Neighbor! So, Thank you!

I heard from Poppy that you did some taste testing yesterday! So I put in an order for a batch of your favorite cookies to be delivered to the shop this afternoon to keep ya' motivated for your shift!

Here's the list for today! Made it pretty easy considering Wally's handicap with height and all.'

You see there's a folded-up part of the letter, containing the list of things to do and before you can unveil it, it comically flips out in front of you revealing its massive amounts of tasks landing on the ground.

You pick the bottom of the list up and start to read it, lightly skimming the tasks to complete, 'PRETTY EASY???' HUH????' You think to yourself as you read the alphabetically sorted list of chores you felt intimidated by the length of the list, considering it was the size of your entire body.

At the bottom, he seemed to have made a separate list of things Wally could do. It was considerably shorter than the other tasks and the wording was extremely simplified for Wally's sake, It read:

'Sweep. Mop. Dust. Greet People.'

You ripped off Wally's separate list from your own and handed the slip of paper to him and his puppet mouth opened wide in surprise at the size of his list, "My, What big tasks I have!" He said as he stared at the tiny slip of paper in his hands, You had no idea if that was him joking or sarcasm because yours were vastly more long and detailed.

You decide to smile and nod at him, fetching a broom and dustpan for him to clean up in the shop, to keep him busy while you begin to focus on your list, 'Begin stocking the front shelves, Each of the neighbors has their very own section, so please look at the guide I've provided!' There was a small drawing on the paper of each neighbor's name next to the accompanying shelf space for them.