Chapter 2 - Third View

It is past five in the afternoon and Adam is wrapping up his duties to call it a day and join the team dinner later. He went to the parking lot and find his car and got inside. 

He tries to clean his car as he offered a ride to his team members in going to the restaurant where they will hold the dinner. As he tried to tidy up he found an old picture below the seat. The photo was captured a couple of years ago specifically on their second anniversary with her former fiancee.

 A flash of memory came to his mind, Fiona was his first love and he believed that she is the woman he will marry. He remembered how he arranged the proposal during their second anniversary which he gathered Fiona's parents without her knowledge during their date. Fiona said yes and they immediately planned their wedding to be set after six months. 

One day, he met Fiona's former lover when they went to her hometown and the guy seems kind and even expressed his support for their marriage. When the time comes for them to go back to the city, she asked him for her to stay further in the town and said that it has been a while since she visited the place so she would like to spend more time away in the city. Adam agreed and went back to the city by himself. A week after he called Fiona and ask her to go back to the city to continue planning their upcoming wedding. He was torn by Fiona's response.

"Adam, I'm sorry but I think I was just in a rush in agreeing to be married to you."He was speechless and Fiona continued."I am not meant to be with you. Let's break up."before he can answer"I hope you will be able to meet the woman that is meant for you someday. Thank you for everything."The call ended.

Adam slumped into his bed and just sat there. He never thought this would happen. There are many things running around in his mind, from going back to the town where Fiona is right now to calling her parents and asking if they know anything. He followed his heart and furiously went to his car. Adam drove as he was racing as fast as his heart beats. It will take three hours from his house to Fiona's hometown but he never once stops the car to get rest. He is taking over every car ahead of him and felt no danger. However, he wasn't able to anticipate the curve road ahead and still running so fast and trying to take over the other car ahead of him. His car collided with the road and hit a tree fortunately this stops him from falling to the cliff but he was knocked out due to the impact.

 He woke up at the hospital and beside him was Fiona. The tears from his eyes fall down as Fiona is saying the same words she said on the phone. Fiona's parents also came and apologize to him. Adam didn't answer them and just remain silent as they are talking. When they are finished, Adam finally spoke and asks all of them to leave. Once they did, his tears keeps falling down again. This painful memory that Adam has is the reason why he cannot just trust people easily. This experience serves him as an unusual shield to not be hurt again.

 "Sir Adam?"

He woke up from reminiscence when someone called his name.

"Hi, I'm Erika the new member.'

Before Adam could reply, the other members behind Erika responded to her first who was just behind her.

"Welcome to the group Erika," says Nate, his teammate who is the same age as her.

The other team members already went inside the car and the remaining empty seat is the one beside Adam in the driver's seat."Come on in Erika," says Adam

She got inside and her heart is pounding but she tries to compose herself. They went into a mountain view restaurant which is a fifteen minutes drive from their office.