1: Entrance Exams

Chapter 1
Kamari Hashino

Ten months later
February 26th

"Better hurry or you'll be late for your UA Entrance Exams!" Dad calls out to me from downstairs.

"Damn it, I can't believe I overslept," I mutter. Since my little brother, Kei went off to camp a few days ago, I've been oversleeping quite often. I didn't realize how much I relied on him to wake me up in the mornings.

I quickly change into dark grey cargo pants, then slip on a blue t-shirt. I pull my hair into a high pony, unplug my phone from its charger, and then slide it into my back pocket.

I nearly trip while running down the stairs, but thankfully I catch myself on the railing.

"Here, honey," Dad hands me a toasted bagel. "Eat it on your way to school. I don't know what kind of exams they'll have you doing. I'm sure you'll need plenty of energy, though." He kisses the top of my head and then opens the front door. I expect Ronan to be there waiting for me, but he isn't. I wonder why, but I don't have time to dwell. I'll just ask him at school.

"Bye Dad, love you! Thanks!" I take the bagel between my teeth and grab my bag from his hand, then take off down the street.

Technically it isn't my first day at UA. I have to earn my place. Today we take our entrance exams. I have no idea what will take place in these exams, so in preparation, I spent my whole summer studying and training my body. Since Ronan spent our two-week break on his awful family vacation, I didn't have much else to do, anyway.

Soon UA comes into view. This school is notably closer than Aldera Junior High. It barely took me five minutes to get here. Any more than that, and I would have been late.

Now that I'm finally here, I take a bite of the bagel Dad made me. Of course, it's cold.

"Hey, Kamari!" I hear a familiar voice. Izuku is running at full speed in my direction.

"Hey, Izuk- ugh!" I brace myself for impact as we fall to the ground. My cold bagel rolls off the pavement and into the grass.

"I'm sorry, Kamari." Izuku climbs off me and apologizes continuously.

"It's okay, no worries." I give him a reassuring smile. If it had been anyone else, I would beat their ass.

Izuku stands up and offers me his hand, which I gratefully accept. I brush off my pants and pick up my belongings.

"Stupid Deku," Bakugo grumbles as he approaches.

"Get lost, shitface," I curse the blond. It's crazy how fast one person can make my blood boil.

"I wasn't talking to you. Get out of my way, now, before I set you on fire." Bakugo trudges past us, clearly not in the mood for my bullshit.

Obviously, this means I must provoke him now.

"You seem upset," I smirk. "Must be cause you're nervous about the entrance exams. Never thought I'd see the day." I click my tongue. "Poor Bakugo, so-"

Bakugo whips around and gets directly in my face. "I am not nervous. And I am not upset. In fact, I am thrilled that I get to watch you and Deku fail so miserably in these exams. The teachers will have no choice but to expel you, Deku, once they see you're a Quirkless loser." He crosses his arms and takes a step back. "And you, once they see how pathetic you are, Hashino, they will send you home in an instant."

I step toward him, removing the space he put between us. "Me? Pathetic? Take a look in the mirror. You said for yourself that you want to be a hero for the money and fame. What kind of hero is that?"