The truth came out a little too soon

Tanjirou and Nezuko were in the attic of their house with their older sister, Harumi. Tanjirou was braiding Nezuko's hair, having a bit of trouble doing so.

"Nee-san-" Nezuko began.

"We aren't related." Harumi interrupts.

"Eh?"

"We aren't blood related. We're all just random demons who bumbed into Rui. We're complete strangers."

"Then, why do we all look alike?" Tanjirou asks.

"It's done by Rui's blood." Harumi reverts her eyes back to her original style, with red irises and black sclera. "Rui's blood transforms our appearense to look more like Rui." She reverts her eyes back. "You two are the only ones actually related to eachother. Just like everyone else, Rui turned you into his family members."

"If that's the case, then why does he do this?" Tanjirou questions.

"I don't know, and it's not wise to ask Rui."

"Why?"

Just then, they heard a scream that sounded like mother. Harumi looked calmly outside while Tanjirou and Nezuko rushed to the window. Outside was Rui, torturing mother.

"Because that will happen."

Nezuko hugged Tanjirou while still staring outside.

"If anyone misbehaves, defies Rui, reverts their appearence back to their original, fails to complete their role as a family member or tries to leave, Rui will punish them. The punishment for trying to leave is death by the sun."

Tanjirou and Nezuko crawl away from the window while still hugging eachother.

"The best way to avoid any punishment is to never annoy or defy Rui." Harumi says and doesn't turn to look at her horrified fake younger siblings.