VII

"Are you quite alright, Evelyn?" narinig kong tanong ni Leon dahilan para mapatingin ako sa kanya. They were all looking at me. I didn't know I have spaced out. The name of my sister just came out of their mouths and it somehow gave me thoughts that I know are not possible.

Pero paano kung posible iyon?

"I-I'm fine. I was just surprised," saad ko sa kanila. When I looked at Nikolas, however, he was not convinced.

I had an equivalent in that world. Despite our massive difference, we shared the same name and the same face. Paano kung ganoon din si Lorence? Paano kung ang Lorence na sinasabi nila ay kamukha ng kapatid ko? Would that be possible?

Ngunit bigla ko ring naisip ang papalapit na giyera. Is it only a coincidence that the old woman told me I can stop the war and that a Queen from the enemy forces has the same name as my sister?

"You don't look fine," Nikolas said and I looked at him. As expected, nothing ever escapes him. Lying is futile now.

"The old woman told me that I can be the one to stop the war," I started. "I had a sister named Lorence."

Nanlaki ang mga mata nilang nakatingin sa akin. They looked at each other and then back at me.

"Had?" I saw an emotion pass Nikolas's eyes but it was gone quickly.

I nodded at him. "She died when we were young. But anyway, is this all just a coincidence?"

Tahimik ang buong sala nang itanong ko iyon. It was, after all, a thought worth considering. It's too big to ignore.

"If the Southern Queen and your sister are similar to you and the other Evelyn, we might be able to solve this conflict without resorting to war." Nikolas leaned closer, his arms on his knees.

"For that, we might have to go to the South. Arrange a meeting with the Queen," Leon said. Ngunit sa mga mukha nila, alam kong hindi magiging madali iyon. Arranging a meeting with the Queen who's keen on taking their lands? Yeah, I don't think so. If we have the chance to persuade her, one thing for sure is that it's not going to be that easy. 

"So you need not only our technology but also me to go back there, correct?"

Tahimik sila sa una pero maya-maya ay sabay silang tumango.

"From what I can see, we have two ways to win this war. First, go to the South and arrange an audience with the Queen. Try to come to a truce and not proceed with the war. For this, we would need your help. If she is indeed our world's version of your sister, then there is a huge possibility we can get to her through you," Nikolas said.

"The second option is for me to talk to that friend of yours so he can tell me about the mechanics of this technology so I can recreate it," Leon added. "With my brains, we can make weapons that are out of my world. Literally."

Two ways. The former could go well or we might resort to doing the latter.

"I am going to call my friend," I said and took out my phone.

***

The man's name was Mark.

And the first thing he did when he arrived was kiss Evelyn on the cheek like there were no people around. I hadn't noticed I was gripping my arm tightly until Leon nudged me.

"So...these are the homeless people I saw on Feedbook that caused a scene in front of Libra Club. Why are they here?"

I blinked. I could have his head. I could have his limbs. I could have him tied to a platform and let the residents of Visaris throw rotten harvest at him. If only this man is in my world, I would make his life a living hell. Why is he sitting too intimately close to Evelyn?