XIII

The castle still looked the same when I left it. The stone walls, the dark corners, the molds accumulating on the small space where one stone block meets the others—all of it were still there as I left it seven months ago.

We rode the carriage as Nikolas ordered. I can't be seen around town. Not yet. As far as the people know, I was the traitor who should have been executed but luckily escaped.

But when we were inside the castle, the servants glanced in my direction, looking away just in time I glanced back. Mark and Arleigh were quiet. Naiintindihan ko sila. The first time I was here, I freaked out too. They are handling it relatively well, to my surprise.

Nikolas walked ahead of us. He was still wearing the clothes I bought for him. I smiled to myself. He looks good in it. But I can't deny the fact that he looked better with the clothes he would usually wear here.

Nakatitig lang ako sa likuran niya. I don't know what he's thinking, but I did not ask. Whatever it is, he will tell me about it when he's ready. If that time would ever come.

Tiningnan ko sina Arleigh at Mark na nakasunod sa akin. Their eyes were wandering around the vicinity. KItang-kita ko ang pagkamangha sa mga mata nila. Sigurado akong marami silang katanungan mamaya kaya hinanda ko na ang sarili ko para doon. Mark is likely going to freak out. Arleigh, on the other hand, sees positivity everytime. She may handle this new situation well.

Biglang tumigil si Nikolas sa harap ng pinto bago tumingin sa gawi namin.

"This will be your chambers. It's a connecting chamber so it would be easy for you to see each other," sabi niya at saka binuksan ang pinto. The door creaked with an eerie noise echoing the huge space.

Bigla naman akong nalungkot sa sinabi niya. I guess I won't be sleeping next to his chamber, then.

"Who are you, really?" tanong ni Mark kay Nikolas. "What is this place? Where is this? What did you do? What just happened back there?"

Gusto kong mapasapo sa mukha. I knew Mark would have many questions, but I did not expect him to bombard Nikolas like that. I know Nikolas wouldn't bother answering Mark's question. Akmang magsasalita na ako nang biglang dumating si Roylan sa gawi namin. He brought two other guards with him flanking both his sides. I heard Arleigh let out a small whistle, especially when Roylan placed his fist on his chest and dropped to one knee. He had already changed into his usual clothing of being a palace guard. The sword hung casually on his side.

"We welcome your return, Your Majesty," said Roylan kaya napataas ang kilay ko. Didn't he just came back too?

The other two guards behind Roylan looked down and did so until Roylan stood and regarded us with his usual icy stare.

Nakatingin sa akin ang dalawang guwardiya at pati na rin sa mga kasamahan ko. They didn't say a word but I knew they were going to talk about it behind closed doors. How a traitor like me was able to walk around alive and be friendly with the King?

"Y-Your Majesty?" hindi makapaniwalang tanong ni Mark. "Are you a king or something?" 

Nikolas didn't seem to hear anything else other than Roylan's welcome. He then faced us and said, "Please rest in your chambers first. Tomorrow, we'll meet in the throne room. You'll know everything about me, then."

"Throne room?" tanong nina Arleigh at Mark. Nikolas just nodded at them, sign that the conversation was over. He gestured us to go inside. Reluctantly, Mark and Arleigh went in. Akmang susunod na ako nang bigla akong hawakan ni Nikolas sa braso. Napatingin ako sa kanya. 

"What?" I asked. 

"You're sleeping in a different chamber," sabi niya sa 'kin. I blinked. 

I was about to say something nang biglang may humawak sa isang braso ko. It was Mark. He was standing by the door of the chamber. I don't know if he's believed that Nikolas is king but Mark doesn't seem to care. He was squinting his eyes at Nikolas na para bang sinususi niya ito nang maigi. Nikolas was used to scrutiny. He wasn't even affected by Mark's sarcastic and not-so-friendly treatment.