LVIII

The bells continued to ring, warning everyone who could hear it. My eyes were on Evelyn as he walked closer to me, her eyes searching. The throne room had gone still. Everyone was quiet as we stood in the center. Lorence climbed up to the dais and sat on her throne. She dropped the dagger she was holding earlier and it made too much noise on the floor, getting the people's attention. But my eyes were on Evelyn. I noted the bruises and scratches on her arms but other than that, there were no serious injuries. 

She was in front of me before I knew it. There was no fear on her face. There was just determination.

And her smile made me let out a shuddering breath. She took my hands and I wish time would stop and I could just savor it.

"We are going to stop this, Nikolas. I know we will," she said and squeezed my hand tightly. 

I nodded at her and smiled. "Since when have you become so fearless?" I asked and her eyes twinkled as he looked up at me. 

"Since I kicked Sader's face," she answered and I clamped my lips to stop myself from laughing. 

"Good one," I muttered before I squeezed her hand back. 

We both faced Lorence as she looked at her subjects. She took her crown and laid it gently on the floor before she stood and said, "You are my subjects. This kingdom is our home. I made a promise to protect it until my last breath. Courtiers, go to your families. Be with them. Escape and keep yourselves safe. I promise I will make this kingdom safe once again." 

"Your Majesty, the Visaris army has come to attack our home. They have betrayed the promise of peace." 

"That's right. Hindi namin maintindihan kung bakit narito pa sila. Bakit hindi mo sila pinahuli? Sila ang dahilan ng lahat ng ito." 

I felt Eve's hand squeezing tightly against mine. I sighed and walked towards the dais. Lorence was just looking at me until I faced her subjects. 

"It brings me much shame to say this but the Visarian army is not in my control as of now. I cannot tell you the whole details as we don't have the luxury of time but I shall promise you that no one shall be hurt and this army shall be stopped before it could set foot in your home." 

Murmurs erupted. The whole throne room became loud once again. But Lorence walked and stumped a spear she got from one of the guards. It as loud enough to get the courtiers' attention. 

"Flee now and come back when I tell you to come back. The more time you waste here, the less chance you have for safety. I command you all to go and evacuate." 

The courtiers looked at each other and in a matter of seconds, they started moving out of the throne room. The people outside were also in chaos as the bells continued to ring, echoing throughout the kingdom. 

I made a promise not to shed blood. I made a promise to make peace. And now my Kingdom's army is marching to break that promise. There is no way I am going to let that happen.

I looked at Lorence and I nodded in her direction.

"I will need a horse," I announced.

***

Nikolas, Leon, and Roylan had decided to go and confront the army. Just the three of them against thousands of soldiers with weapons.

He might be King but we can't be too sure if his soldiers still follow him. Hindi namin alam kung anong mga kasinungalingan ang pinagsasasabi ni Orville sa kanila. Perhaps he already revealed his true identity as the second eldest son of the former King and the Council readily accepted, knowing that they will gain back their place in the Kingdom.